for this game

Potts, Red Raiders rally late to surprise Missouri

Nov 7, 2010 - 4:08 AM Lubbock, TX (Sports Network) - Taylor Potts threw three touchdown passes, as the Texas Tech Red Raiders scored 21 unanswered points to take down the 14th- ranked Missouri Tigers, 24-17, in Big 12 action at Jones AT&T Stadium.

Potts completed 19-of-28 passes for 188 yards and an interception for the Red Raiders (5-4, 3-4 Big 12), who bounced back from a 45-27 loss to Texas A&M last week. Steven Sheffield connected on 11-of-20 passes for 99 yards.

Lyle Leong caught nine passes for 123 yards and two touchdowns, while Detron Lewis hauled in eight passes for 64 yards a score. Baron Batch carried the ball 28 times for 134 yards.

"Real proud for this football team," Texas Tech head coach Tommy Tuberville said. "They've been through a lot all year long. They fought hard, and finally things started to click for us on both sides of the ball at the same time."

Blaine Gabbert completed 12-of-30 passes for 95 yards for the Tigers (7-2, 3-2), who have lost two in a row after starting the season with seven straight wins.

Kendial Lawrence carried the ball six times for 96 yards and a touchdown, while Marcus Murphy rushed for 74 yards and a score on three carries in defeat.

Trailing 17-3, Texas Tech put together an impressive 16-play, 82-yard drive before the half. Faced with a 4th-and-2 from the Missouri 23, Ben McRoy rushed for nine yards. Three plays later, Lewis caught an eight-yard TD pass to make it 17-10 at the break.

The Red Raiders carried that momentum over to the third quarter. The home team got the ball to start the period and needed just six plays to score. Leong caught a 36-yard pass before hauling in a 16-yard touchdown pass for a 17-17 game.

Texas Tech's next possession also resulted in a touchdown. The Red Raiders did not face one third-down situation on a 12-play, 92-yard drive. Leong capped the march with a five-yard TD catch for a 24-17 lead with 6:46 to go.

Missouri failed to cross midfield in the second half until midway through the fourth. A short punt gave the Tigers the ball at the Texas Tech 48 with 7:19 left.

The Tigers got to the 33-yard line before Gabbert threw incomplete passes on third and fourth down.

The Red Raiders were able to run out the remaining four minutes for the come- from-behind victory.

"First of all, I want to congratulate Texas Tech on a great game. They did the things necessary to win," Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel said. "I thought we had a chance to get back in it at the end of the third quarter and fourth quarter but they had that seven-point lead and we struggled on offense. We had trouble making plays and moving the football. I think it was a combination of a lot of things."

It took the Tigers just three plays to find the end zone, as Murphy's 69-yard rushing touchdown made it 7-0 early on. Lawrence added a 71-yard rushing TD with 8:36 left in the quarter to give Missouri a 14-0 lead.

The Red Raiders responded with an eight-play drive. Matt Williams capped the march with a 42-yard field goal to make it a 14-3 contest two minutes later.

Grant Ressel made a 27-yard field goal to give the Tigers a 17-3 advantage with about five minutes left until half.

Game Notes

Texas Tech beat the Tigers for the first time since 2002. Missouri holds a 5-3 edge in the all-time series.