for this game

TCU holds on late, downs San Diego State

Nov 14, 2010 - 2:22 AM Fort Worth, TX (Sports Network) - Andy Dalton threw for 240 yards and four touchdowns, three of those to Jeremy Kerley, as the third-ranked TCU Horned Frogs topped the San Diego State Aztecs, 40-35, at Amon Carter Stadium.

Dalton completed 21-of-36 passes and was intercepted once, and Matthew Tucker had 22 carries for 131 yards for the Horned Frogs (11-0, 7-0 MWC) who clinched a share of the Mountain West title with the win.

Waymon James added 102 yards and a score on 23 rushes and Kerley wound up with 85 yards on eight receptions.

Ryan Lindley threw for 262 yards on 11-of-26 passing with two touchdowns, but was intercepted twice, and Vincent Brown caught four passes for a game-best 167 yards and two touchdowns for the Aztecs (7-3, 4-2 MWC), who saw their four-game win streak halted.

The Aztecs scored the game's first two touchdowns, but the Horned Frogs countered with 37 consecutive points and held on late in the fourth quarter to seal their 24th consecutive regular-season victory.

"Bottom line, we found a way to win," said TCU head coach Gary Patterson. "You've got to give San Diego State a lot of credit, and now we move on. That's all we have got control over."

Dalton connected with Kerley for a 38-yard touchdown with 3:43 left in the first to finally get TCU on the board. The Horned Frogs drew to within one on Dalton's 15-yard scoring pass to Brock Logan in the final minute of the quarter, but the extra point attempt was blocked, and the Aztecs carried a 14-13 advantage into the second.

TCU, though, added three more scores in the second. A James nine-yard run and two more Dalton-to-Kerley connections highlighted the quarter, as the Horned Forgs took a 34-14 lead at halftime.

"We have to play four quarters in the game," San Diego State head coach Brady Hoke said. "As a team and coaches, we took the second quarter off. You cannot win big football games like that. We could not have started off any better, but like in life, in football you have to finish."

Ross Evans hit a 36-yard field goal at 9:32 in the third to cap the 37-point surge for TCU, which held a 23-point lead at that point.

The Aztecs got the ball back with 3:13 left in the quarter and used a Sullivan one-yard run to cap a quick six-play, 76-yard drive for their first points in the second half. The series was highlighted by Lindley's 50-yard toss to Brown that put the Aztecs at the TCU two-yard line.

TCU stretched its lead to 40-21 in the opening minutes of the fourth when Evans connected on a 31-yard field goal.

After the teams traded punts, San Diego State added seven more after Brown took a Lindley pass 33 yards to the end zone, cutting the Horned Frogs' cushion to 40-28 with 6:43 left in the game.

The Aztecs go the ball back after a TCU punt at 4:58 and scored on their first play of the ensuing drive, a 35-yard pass to Brown, to make it a five-point game

TCU, though, was able to get the necessary yards on their next opportunity to run out the clock and seal the victory.

Game Notes

TCU held the Aztecs to one first down in the first half...The Horned Frogs had 27 first downs, compared to 7 for San Diego State...This is the final game at the current Amon G. Carter Stadium; the venue will undergo a $105 million renovation that will be finished in 2012.