for this game

Sooners out-gun Cowboys, set up tie atop Big 12 South

Nov 28, 2010 - 8:42 AM Stillwater, OK (Sports Network) - Landry Jones threw for 468 yards and four touchdowns -- two of which came during a late-game shootout -- as 14th-ranked Oklahoma outlasted No. 10 Oklahoma State, 47-41, in a Bedlam Battle classic.

The Sooners (10-2, 6-2 Big 12) held a 33-24 lead with a little under six minutes to play in a contest that was, to that point, already entertaining.

But the teams used a series of big plays to rack up the points and provide a frenetic finish. Jones connected with Cameron Kenney on an 86-yard touchdown and later found James Hanna for a 76-yard strike to help Oklahoma stay one step ahead and hold on for the victory -- its eighth in a row over Oklahoma State (10-2, 6-2).

"I've never felt like that. I was having an anxiety attack," said Oklahoma linebacker Travis Lewis. "I was just so pumped up and was like 'Oh my goodness, who's gonna make the play? Who's gonna make the play?' We made enough plays to win tonight."

Moreover, the wild finish provided a three-way tie atop the Big 12 South standings. Oklahoma State had a chance to claim the spot outright with a victory, but the loss -- along with Texas A&M's victory over Texas on Thursday -- leaves the Sooners, Cowboys and Aggies knotted with a 6-2 conference record.

The division champion will be determined by which team has the highest BCS ranking when those standings are released Sunday. In last weekend's rankings, Oklahoma State was ninth, Oklahoma stood 13th, and Texas A&M was a distant 17th, making it unlikely the Aggies would leapfrog the other two. Whether the Sooners will jump above the Cowboys remains to be seen -- and they may not even have to.

If the top two teams are back-to-back in the BCS standings, the head-to-head result between them breaks the tie.

A trip to the Big 12 title game provides a chance to clinch the conference's automatic BCS bowl bid, and that's what was at stake when the teams began the fourth quarter tied, 24-24.

Jimmy Stevens kicked a 24-yard field goal only 35 seconds in to give Oklahoma the advantage, and he booted a 31-yarder after the Sooner defense forced a punt. Oklahoma linebacker Austin Box then picked off Brandon Weeden's deflected pass on the first play of the Cowboys' ensuing drive, which led to Stevens' third consecutive field goal, a 26-yarder.

"Jimmy Stevens got the first game ball when we got in there," Sooners head coach Bob Stoops said after the game. "I told him he was the biggest difference in the game, making all his kicks the way he did."

The three kicks had Oklahoma ahead by nine with 5:53 to play, and the Cowboys put together a quick drive to get back in the game. They were faced with a 3rd-and-3 at the Sooner 15 when Weeden connected with Justin Blackmon on a post route.

Blackmon lined up on the right side of the field and found space between the safeties, making the catch just in front of the goal line before getting into the end zone with 4:06 to play.

The score had Oklahoma State within 33-31, and the Cowboys looked like they'd get another shot with the ball, forcing Oklahoma into a 3rd-and-12. But Jones connected with a streaking Kenney, who outraced everyone to complete the 86- yard score.

That 40-31 margin lasted all of 12 seconds, though, as Justin Gilbert returned the kickoff 89 yards for a touchdown. Gilbert benefited from an uncalled block in the back, then dodged around one final defender to reach the end zone with 2:51 to play.

However, the Oklahoma State defense broke down again. On a second down, the Cowboys played the run, allowing the tight end Hanna to get above the secondary. He was wide open on the left side of the field, caught Jones' pass and sprinted for the TD.

That score was too much for the Cowboys to overcome. Oklahoma State took nearly two minutes off the clock before Dan Bailey kicked a 34-yard field goal with 36 seconds remaining, and Oklahoma recovered the onside kick to secure the win.

"It was an emotional roller coaster for the last five minutes of the game," said Cowboys offensive lineman Levy Adcock. "When we scored that touchdown, everyone was feeling pretty good about it, but then we had a couple of misfortunes and here we are."

The fourth quarter was essentially a condensed game, as the teams combined for 40 points and four touchdowns.

Overall, Jones completed 37-of-62 passes and was intercepted three times for Oklahoma, which won its final three games. DeMarco Murray ran for a team-high 80 yards on 20 carries, but limped off the field in the second half after suffering an apparent injury.

Weeden passed for 257 yards and two touchdowns on 28-of-43 efficiency, but was picked off three times as the Cowboys had a four-game win streak broken.

Despite the close finish, the Sooners dominated time of possession, holding the ball for 35:24, and outgained the Cowboys by a 588-379 margin.

Oklahoma held a 7-3 edge after the first quarter, in which Trey Millard rushed for a touchdown and Bailey kicked a 23-yard field goal. Jones connected on a two-yard pass to Ryan Broyles a minute and a half into the second quarter, and the Sooners had a chance to take control after Weeden threw an interception.

But a big defensive play prevented Oklahoma State from getting in too big a hole. Jones locked his eyes on the intended receiver, allowing linebacker Shaun Lewis to grab the ball and run 52 yards the other way, making it a 14-10 game.

The Sooners scored on their next drive, a 56-yard march that lasted 12 plays and was only extended after the Cowboys received a roughing the kicker penalty. Jones finished it with an eight-yard pass to Kenney in the back of the end zone with 6:44 left.

After an OSU three-and-out, the Cowboys were once again bailed out by their defense. Jones intended to throw the ball away, but cornerback Brodrick Brown tipped it back toward the field and Lewis grabbed it for an interception.

The play allowed Oklahoma State to shift the field possession battle in its favor, and the Cowboys cashed in later in the quarter. Jeremy Smith's two-yard run made it a 21-17 game with 68 seconds on the clock, though Stevens' 29- yarder gave Oklahoma a seven-point halftime lead.

The Cowboys tied the game on the opening drive of the second half, when Weeden hit Josh Cooper with a 20-yard TD pass.

Game Notes

Jones tied the OU school record with 468 passing yards. His 37 completions were a career high, and he recorded his third career 400-yard passing game -- most in Sooners history...Broyles led the Sooners with nine receptions for 82 yards. Hanna ended with four catches for 130 yards...Weeden's two TD throws give him a school-record 32 for the season. Josh Fields threw 31 touchdowns for OSU in 2002.