Sam Houston State defeats Lamar 38-10Oct 3, 2010 - 2:33 AM BEAUMONT, Texas (AP) -- Tim Flanders ran for 153 yards and three touchdowns Saturday night as Sam Houston State breezed to a 38-10 victory over Lamar.
Brandon Closner returned a punt 39 yards for a touchdown and Brian Bell hooked up with Seth Patterson for a touchdown for the Bearkats (2-2), who led 28-3 at halftime.
Sam Houston State completely shut down the Cardinals' running game. No Lamar rushing play - only nine were attempted - went for longer than 2 yards. The Cardinals finished with minus-25 yards rushing as quarterback Andre Bevil was sacked three times.
Meanwhile, the Bearkats piled up 275 yards on the ground, led by Flanders. Bell ran for 38 yards and threw for 171, completing 13 of 18 passes.
Bevil found Marcus Jackson on a 66-yard scoring play for the only touchdown for Lamar (2-3), which lost 71-3 to Stephen F. Austin last week.
- This year's must-see FCS matchups May 23
- 2016 FCS vs. FBS: Southland Conference May 16
- Sam Houston State's Overstreet indicted May 5
- FCS draft class review Apr 30
- NFL to get kick out of the FCS Apr 26
- Lamar's depth at running back on display Apr 16
- Briscoe standout in Sam Houston spring game Apr 9
- QB Johnson transferring from Sam Houston State Apr 7
- If only the FCS was drafted this year Apr 4
- FCS matchups we'd like to see Mar 18
- Pro day schedule set to kick off Mar 1
- Southland Conference spring primer Feb 29