for this game

Georgia Southern advances, slipping past Wofford

Dec 12, 2010 - 12:04 AM Spartanburg, SC (Sports Network) - John Douglas' defensive touchdown gave Georgia Southern an early two-score cushion, and the Eagles were able to hold on against Wofford, 23-20, in an FCS quarterfinal tilt.

The Eagles (10-4) were outgained, 343-246, but took advantage of good field position throughout the game to advance to the semifinals next week, where they will play Delaware, a 16-3 winner over New Hampshire on Friday.

Jaybo Shaw completed just 5-of-11 throws for 78 yards but played mistake-free. He also threw a touchdown to Tray Butler and led the team in rushing with 60 yards on 15 carries.

Mitch Allen threw for 160 yards and a score on 8-of-12 efficiency for the Terriers (10-3), who fumbled the ball six times, losing two.

Georgia Southern maintained its 23-13 lead midway through the fourth quarter by stuffing Allen for no gain on 4th-and-1 from the three-yard line.

But Wofford found life when Alex Goltry scooped up a Robert Brown fumble and went 19 yards for a defensive score to pull the Terriers within 23-20 with 5:13 remaining.

The comeback fell by the wayside, however, when a facemask penalty extended Georgia Southern's next drive, allowing the Eagles to hold the ball until the final seconds.

Wofford fumbled in Georgia Southern territory on its first possession, and the Eagles converted the turnover into a touchdown on Butler's 25-yard grab.

Allen lost the ball on the next play from scrimmage, and Douglas returned it 20 yards the other way for a 14-0 lead.

The kickers ruled the second quarter, as Wofford's Christian Reed hit a 21- yarder between a pair of Adrian Mora makes of 33 and 21 yards. Mora also missed a 28-yard try earlier in the frame.

Allen's 37-yard bomb to Brenton Bersin cut Wofford's deficit to 20-10 midway through the third quarter, and Reed capped a 17-play, 68-yard march with a 27- yard field goal with 13:07 remaining.

Laron Scott took the ensuing kickoff 58 yards to the Wofford 31, setting up Mora's eventual game-winner, a 37-yarder with just under 11 minutes to play.