Northeastern upends BC, to meet BU in Beanpot finalFeb 4, 2015 - 5:20 AM Boston, MA (SportsNetwork.com) - Dustin Darou's marker with 1:34 left in regulation was the deciding goal as Northeastern claimed a 3-2 victory over Boston College in the late Beanpot semifinal from TD Garden, denying the Eagles a chance to win a sixth straight championship.
Colton Saucerman and John Stevens tallied with Kevin Roy adding a pair of assists for the Huskies, who matched their 1983-85 teams by reaching the final in three straight years.
Clay Witt backed his offense with a 21-save effort.
Destry Straight and Ryan Fitzgerald scored for BC, which now cannot challenge BU's still-standing record which was set under Jack Parker from 1995-2000.
Thatcher Demko made 20 stops in defeat as the Eagles failed to participate in the Beanpot final for the first time since 2009 -- the final season before their run of five consecutive titles began.
Northeastern and Boston University will meet for the 63rd annual Beanpot crown next Monday, weather permitting. Eastern New England was slammed with more than two feet of snow in spots, forcing the postponement of the two semifinals for first time since 1983.
The Huskies' drought has existed since 1988 and the Terriers are seeking their first win since 2009 and 30th overall.
In the early semifinal, Danny O'Regan's marker 2:18 into the second overtime sent Boston University over Harvard by a 4-3 count, spoiling a historic performance by Steve Michalek.
Ahti Oksanen and Cason Hohmann added a goal and one assist each for the Terriers, who rallied from a 3-1 second-period deficit to reach the tournament final for the first time since 2012.
Matt O'Connor stopped 31 pucks, including all 14 after giving up two goals on eight shots in the second period.
Kyle Criscuolo, Alex Kerfoot and Sean Malone tallied for the Crimson, who will wait another year to reach the final which they haven't won since 1993.
Michalek made a career-high and tournament-record 63 stops in defeat, and was forced to withstand a 60-shot barrage by the Terriers following the first period having suffered a suspected lower-body injury at some point in the first extra session.
Jim Barton of BC held the record since his 52-save effort in 1970.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Providence knocks off BU to take national title Apr 12
- BU's Eichel wins 2015 Hobey Baker Award Apr 10
- North Dakota's McIntyre wins Richter Award Apr 10
- Minnesota State-Mankato earns top seed for NCAA hockey tourney Mar 22
- UMass beats Notre Dame in 5-OT hockey classic Mar 7
- Grzelcyk's OT winner snaps BU's long Beanpot drought Feb 24
- Philadelphia U's Magee reaches 1K wins Feb 7
- Union extends Bennett through 2022 May 22
- State of Union: First-time national champions Apr 12
- Hobey winner Gaudreau looking to buck trend, gain NHL success Apr 12
- Gaudreau wins 2014 Hobey Baker Award, signs with Flames Apr 11