Rams edge Browns in field goal battleNov 13, 2011 - 11:41 PM
Sam Bradford completed 15-of-26 passes for 155 yards, one touchdown and one interception for the Rams (2-7).
Steven Jackson had a big day on the ground, rushing for 128 yards on 27 carries, while Brandon Lloyd hauled in four balls for 48 yards and a touchdown.
Phil Dawson accounted for all of the Browns' (3-6) offense, kicking four field goals, and Colt McCoy threw for 218 yards on 20-of-27 passing.
Chris Ogbonnaya rushed for 90 yards on 19 carries in place of the injured Peyton Hillis and Montario Hardesty.
The game-winning score came as a result of a great special teams play by the Rams as Josh Cribbs fielded a punt at his own 23, but fumbled and it was recovered by Rams linebacker Ben Leber at the 27.
"That was just embarrassing, we have to give credit to them, they made less mistakes," Cribbs said. "In a low-scoring game like that, the team that makes the least amount of mistakes wins and they did."
Bradford led a six-play drive down to the Browns 16. Brown was good from 34 yards out to give St. Louis a 13-12 edge with 7:42 remaining.
Cleveland had a chance to take the lead on its next possession. Starting from their own 40, the Browns marched down to the St.Louis four-yard line and lined up for a 22-yard field goal with just over two minutes to play. A bobbled snap caused Dawson to miss wide to the left.
The Rams ran out the remaining time to seal the victory.
"I'm happy for our football team, wins are hard to get in this league," Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "Somewhere along the way I think things even themselves out. I do feel bad for [Browns head coach] Pat [Shurmur] because he's a close friend, but perseverance and character were certainly out there with our team tonight, I'm proud of them in that regard."
The Browns opened the scoring with just under five minutes to go in the opening quarter as McCoy led an 11-play, 54-yard drive down to the St. Louis 26 before Dawson was true on a 44-yard field goal to give his team a 3-0 lead.
St. Louis came right back on its ensuing possession with a 10-play, 69-yard drive, which was highlighted by a 24-yard catch by Lloyd. Bradford hooked up with Lloyd again on a seven-yard touchdown strike to make it 7-3.
Cleveland made it a one-point game midway through the second quarter when Dawson connected on another field goal, this time from 32 yards out.
But the Rams extended their lead with just over a minute to go before halftime as Jackson ran four times for 36 yards, moving the ball down to the Browns 11- yard line. From there, Brown was good on a 29-yard field goal to make it 10-6.
On the ensuing possession, the Browns had a chance to put the ball into the end zone and take a lead heading into halftime.
McCoy went deep over the middle to Greg Little for a 52-yard completion, bringing the ball all the way to the Rams 10 with 14 seconds to go.
Two plays later, McCoy went for the corner fade to Evan Moore, but the tight end was called for a face-mask penalty, moving the ball back to the 25. Dawson made his third field goal of the day -- a 43-yarder -- as time expired in the first half to bring the Browns within one, 10-9.
Late in the third quarter, McCoy led an eight-play, 68-yard drive. A 32-yard sprint by Ogbonnaya and a 22-yard catch by Benjamin Watson put the ball at the nine of the Rams. Dawson made a 27-yard field goal to give his team a 12-10 lead.
The Rams lead the overall regular season series, 10-9...It was Jackson's 30th career 100-yard game...Cleveland outgained St. Louis, 335-281...The Browns converted five of their 14 third down opportunities, while the Rams went 4-for-12 on third down...James Laurinaitis and Chris Long each had a sack for St. Louis.
- ST. LOUIS: 13
Nov 13 4:00 PM
- St. Louis Field Goal - 34-yarder by Josh Brown.
Rams 13, Browns 12 4th - 7:42Nov 13 3:42 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 10
End of 3rd
Nov 13 3:20 PM
- Cleveland Field Goal - 27-yarder by Phil Dawson.
Rams 10, Browns 12 3rd - 0:33Nov 13 3:14 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 10
Nov 13 2:27 PM
- Josh Brown kicked off 68 yards from the St. Louis 35 to the Cleveland -3. Joshua Cribbs to the Cleveland 24 for 27 yards. Cleveland has the ball, 1st and 10 on the Cleveland 24.
Rams 10, Browns 6 2nd - 1:02Nov 13 2:19 PM
- Cleveland Field Goal - 32-yarder by Phil Dawson.
Rams 7, Browns 6 2nd - 7:41Nov 13 2:00 PM
- Josh Brown extra point is good.
Rams 7, Browns 3 2nd - 14:53Nov 13 1:38 PM
- St. Louis Touchdown - Sam Bradford pass to Brandon Lloyd for 7 yards.
Rams 6, Browns 3 2nd - 14:53Nov 13 1:37 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
End of 1st
Nov 13 1:34 PM
- Cleveland Field Goal - 44-yarder by Phil Dawson.
Rams 0, Browns 3 1st - 4:51Nov 13 1:22 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Nov 13 1:03 PM
- Browns cut veteran WR Brian Hartline May 23
- Former Browns center Tom DeLeone dies at age 65 May 22
- Browns' Haden sheds walking boot, eager for healthier season May 18
- Sam Bradford has no regrets, ready to move on with Eagles May 17
- Browns sign rookie wide receiver Corey Coleman, first pick May 13
- 'Believeland' film examines Cleveland's deep sports passion May 13
- Roy Green to be inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor May 11
- Rams safety T.J. McDonald arrested in LA on suspicion of DUI May 11
- Ex-NFL player denies Ohio golf course assault charges May 10
- Cleveland Browns' player is Ohio teen's surprise prom date May 8
- Jared Goff grateful to start work in 1st practice with Rams May 6
- Police: Ex-NFL player assaults man on Ohio golf course May 6