Orlovsky's late TD pass lifts Colts over TexansDec 23, 2011 - 6:46 AM Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - Dan Orlovsky certainly didn't "Suck for Luck" on Thursday, especially when the oft-maligned quarterback orchestrated a two-minute drill to perfection to give the Colts an unlikely 19-16 victory over the AFC South-champion Houston Texans.
When it mattered most down the stretch, Orlovsky guided a 12-play, 78-yard march that ended with Reggie Wayne hauling in a one-yard touchdown pass over his defender with 19 seconds remaining.
The dramatic win was Indianapolis' second straight after starting the season 0-13. A loss would have guaranteed the Colts the first overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft -- and a shot at Stanford standout Andrew Luck -- but they settled for spoiling the Texans' chance at their first ever season sweep in the one-sided rivalry.
In fact, Houston (10-5) has never won in Indianapolis, falling to 0-10 there after failing to hold a 16-12 lead following Neil Rackers' 31-yard with 1:56 remaining.
The ensuing drive featured a pair of third-down conversions and three Houston penalties in a seven-play span, the last a pass interference infraction on Glover Quin that moved the ball to the Houston one-yard line.
On the next play, Orlovsky threw a back-shoulder fade to free-agent-to-be Wayne, who secured the throw and celebrated the go-ahead score in perhaps his last home game with the Colts.
"I was sitting in my hotel room thinking today it was the last home game for the season here," Orlovsky said. "And there are questions marks about what can happen in [Wayne's] future.
"I was just thinking to myself if it ever got to the point in the game where someone needed to make a play, it wasn't probably going to go anywhere but him. I think he deserved that opportunity and obviously he continues to show that he comes up in the clutch."
There was no miracle comeback for the Texans, whose chance at securing a first-round bye in the playoffs was hindered dramatically with a second straight loss.
Arian Foster carried Houston's anemic offense with 158 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries, while T.J. Yates completed an efficient 13-of-16 throws but passed for just 132 yards.
"We're playing with a young quarterback and we're adjusting every week as we go," Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said. "We're struggling to find some points and obviously didn't find enough tonight."
Foster's nine-yard touchdown run came after Orlovsky, who ended with 244 yards on 23-of-41 throws, fumbled on the game's opening snap.
It was the only TD in an otherwise offense-starved first half. Houston, which added a 44-yard Rackers field goal in the first quarter, did not post a first down in the second frame and gained just 107 yards in the first half.
The Colts weren't much better, netting 129 combined yards in the first two quarters. They managed a pair of field goals from Adam Vinatieri of 23 and 32 yards, and the kicker's third, a 42-yard try, hooked left just before halftime.
Houston's promising drive to start the second half stalled inside the Indianapolis 20, leading to Rackers' 35-yard field goal 4 1/2 minutes in.
Vinatieri capped a 12-play, 51-yard drive with a 47-yard kick in the final minute of the third, and added a 31-yarder with 6:48 remaining in the fourth.
Wayne caught eight passes for 106 yards -- both game-highs...The Colts had 24 first downs to Houston's 14...Houston wide receiver Andre Johnson missed his third straight game due to a hamstring injury.
- HOUSTON: 16
Dec 22 11:27 PM
- HOUSTON: 16
End of Regulation
Dec 22 11:27 PM
- Adam Vinatieri extra point is good.
Texans 16, Colts 19 4th - 0:19Dec 22 11:23 PM
- Indianapolis Touchdown - Dan Orlovsky pass to Reggie Wayne for 1 yard.
Texans 16, Colts 18 4th - 0:19Dec 22 11:23 PM
- Houston Field Goal - 31-yarder by Neil Rackers.
Texans 16, Colts 12 4th - 1:56Dec 22 11:11 PM
- Indianapolis Field Goal - 31-yarder by Adam Vinatieri.
Texans 13, Colts 12 4th - 6:48Dec 22 10:53 PM
- HOUSTON: 13
End of 3rd
Dec 22 10:38 PM
- Indianapolis Field Goal - 47-yarder by Adam Vinatieri.
Texans 13, Colts 9 3rd - 0:54Dec 22 10:34 PM
- Houston Field Goal - 35-yarder by Neil Rackers.
Texans 13, Colts 6 3rd - 10:25Dec 22 10:12 PM
- HOUSTON: 10
Dec 22 9:53 PM
- Indianapolis Field Goal - 32-yarder by Adam Vinatieri.
Texans 10, Colts 6 2nd - 3:37Dec 22 9:35 PM
- HOUSTON: 10
End of 1st
Dec 22 9:10 PM
- Houston Field Goal - 44-yarder by Neil Rackers.
Texans 10, Colts 3 1st - 2:01Dec 22 9:03 PM
- Indianapolis Field Goal - 23-yarder by Adam Vinatieri.
Texans 7, Colts 3 1st - 4:39Dec 22 8:56 PM
- Neil Rackers extra point is good.
Texans 7, Colts 0 1st - 14:06Dec 22 8:33 PM
- Houston Touchdown - Arian Foster rushed left for 9 yards.
Texans 6, Colts 0 1st - 14:06Dec 22 8:32 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Dec 22 8:30 PM
- Ex-NFL player chosen to be next Pittsburgh schools head May 19
- Jaguars sign veteran Linkenbach, release Oberkrom May 17
- Titans waive Mettenberger, clearing space for 4 new signees May 16
- Jaguars sign former 1st-round draft pick Bjoern Werner May 11
- Broncos center Matt Paradis now the mainstay on the O-line May 9
- New York Giants sign 4 players who had tryout last week May 9
- Colts give former college star Golson chance to shine May 8
- Paxton Lynch makes his Broncos debut May 6
- Jets' Hackenberg 'buried' criticism, excited for fresh start May 6
- Indianapolis Colts sign 4th-round pick Antonio Morrison May 6
- Colts sign 4 more draft picks on eve of rookie mini-camp May 5
- Colts sign 1st-round pick Ryan Kelly May 4