Schaub, Texans top 49ersAug 19, 2012 - 3:24 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Matt Schaub was 11-for-14 passing with 128 yards and threw for a touchdown as the Houston Texans took down the San Francisco 49ers, 20-9, in NFL preseason action on Saturday.
Andre Johnson caught two passes for 49 yards and Arian Foster picked up 46 yards on 10 carries for Houston, which moved to 2-0 in the preseason.
Alex Smith completed 5-of-9 passes for 49 yards and Randy Moss hauled in three balls for 24 yards for the 49ers, who fell to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship last season.
San Francisco running back Brandon Jacobs left the game in the first quarter with a knee injury. He needed to be assisted off the field, and was later carted to the locker room. Jacobs was singed in the offseason.
Shayne Graham's 48-yard field goal got the Texans on the board after their opening drive stalled on the 31-yard line. Schaub went 4-for-4 for 36 yards including a 22-yard strike to Keshawn Martin, but Houston was unable to convert on third-and-nine and settled for a field goal.
The 49ers were forced to settle for a David Akers 50-yard field goal on the ensuing drive. Smith led San Francisco down the field on 4-of-5 passing for 36 yards. Frank Gore broke a 14-yard run on the drive, but Smith was sacked on 3rd-and-7 to force a field-goal attempt.
San Francisco took the lead with 6:43 remaining in the second quarter when Akers sent one through the uprights from 36 yards out.
Later in the second, Schaub found Lester Jean in the end zone for a nine-yard score to put the Texans up 10-6. Earlier in the drive, Foster broke a 24-yard run to put Houston in the red zone and three plays later, Schaub connected with Jean to cap a 12-play 80-yard drive.
Houtson and San Francisco traded field goals in the third quarter.
Graham nailed one from 49 yards out after seven-play, 41-yard Texans drive stalled. A defensive pass interference put Houston in 49ers' territory, but backup quarterback T.J. Yates was sacked on third down, forcing the Texans to kick a field goal.
Akers then split the uprights from 55 yards out to make it 13-9.
Trindon Holliday returned a punt for 87 yards in the fourth to put Houston up 20-9.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 9
Aug 18 11:04 PM
- == Preseason == Houston Touchdown - 87-yard punt return by Trindon Holliday. (Randy Bullock
49ers 9, Texans 20 4th - 10:51Aug 18 10:34 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 9
End of 3rd
Aug 18 10:21 PM
- == Preseason == San Francisco Field Goal - 55-yarder by David Akers.
49ers 9, Texans 13 3rd - 2:44Aug 18 10:13 PM
- == Preseason == Houston Field Goal - 49-yarder by Shayne Graham.
49ers 6, Texans 13 3rd - 5:24Aug 18 10:07 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Aug 18 9:31 PM
- == Preseason == Houston Touchdown - 9-yard pass from Matt Schaub to Lestar Jean. (Randy Bull
49ers 6, Texans 10 2nd - 0:54Aug 18 9:26 PM
- == Preseason == San Francisco Field Goal - 36-yarder by David Akers.
49ers 6, Texans 3 2nd - 6:43Aug 18 9:12 PM
- == Preseason == San Francisco Field Goal - 50-yarder by David Akers.
49ers 3, Texans 3 1st - 5:29Aug 18 8:26 PM
- == Preseason == Houston Field Goal - 48-yarder by Shayne Graham.
49ers 0, Texans 3 1st - 10:45Aug 18 8:18 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 18 8:08 PM
- Titans waive Mettenberger, clearing space for 4 new signees May 16
- Ex-rugby League star Hayne leaves NFL, aims for Olympics May 15
- Broncos center Matt Paradis now the mainstay on the O-line May 9
- New York Giants sign 4 players who had tryout last week May 9
- 49ers sign their draft picks, waive offensive lineman Devey May 6
- Ex-49er Stubblefield wants prosecutor removed from rape case May 6
- Paxton Lynch makes his Broncos debut May 6
- Jets' Hackenberg 'buried' criticism, excited for fresh start May 6
- 49ers sign linebacker Michael Wilhoite to one-year deal May 4
- Broncos' Siemian trusts he'll get a shot at starting, too May 3
- Monday's Sports In Brief May 3
- Mark Sanchez sees Paxton Lynch selection as endorsement May 2