Jags down FalconsAug 31, 2012 - 1:47 AM Jacksonville, FL (Sports Network) - With Maurice Jones-Drew, the reigning rushing champion, continuing his prolonged holdout, the Jacksonville Jaguars rushed for a pair of touchdowns as they beat the Atlanta Falcons, 24-14, Thursday at EverBank Field.
Rashad Jennings stepped in and rushed for 34 yards on 11 carries, while Jalen Parmele finished with six carries for 56 yards and a score and Richard Murphy chipped in 12 rushes for 44 yards and a touchdown.
Jennings has already been named the starter for the Jaguars season-opener on Sunday, Sept. 9 when they head to Minnesota to take on the Vikings.
Blaine Gabbert completed 7-of-12 passes for 64 yards, while backup Chad Henne went 4-of-6 for 106 yards, a touchdown and an interception.
Dominique Davis took every snap for the Falcons, going 14-of-24 for 175 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions, as starter Matt Ryan sat out to prepare for Atlanta's season opener on Sunday, Sept. 9 on the road against the Kansas City Chiefs.
Jacquizz Rodgers started in place of Michael Turner, who also watched from the sidelines, and rushed five times for 24 yards and a touchdown.
The Jaguars got off to a rough starter as Gabbert fumbled on their first play from scrimmage to give the ball to the Falcons, who quickly scored on their first play when Rodgers carried the ball five yards into the end zone.
Jacksonville evened things up late in the second as Parmele carried the ball four times for 48 yards, including a 14-yard touchdown scamper to knot the game at 7-7.
Henne started the second half for the Jags and lead them the length of the of the field on a four-play, 99-yard drive, highlighted by a 77-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Elliot to give Jacksonville a 14-7 lead.
The Falcons answered quickly as Davis found Kevin Cone for a 49-yard scoring play to knot the game at 14-14.
In the fourth, Josh Scobee drilled a 39-yard field goal after a 13-play drive stalled late, giving the Jaguars a 17-14 edge.
Jacksonville put the game away late when Murphy took a handoff five yards for a touchdown to extend the margin to 24-14 with less than four minutes to play.
- ATLANTA: 14
Aug 30 9:36 PM
- == Preseason == Jacksonville Touchdown - 5-yard run by Richard Murphy. (Josh Scobee kick).
Falcons 14, Jaguars 24 4th - 3:21Aug 30 9:28 PM
- == Preseason == Jacksonville Field Goal - 39-yarder by Josh Scobee.
Falcons 14, Jaguars 17 4th - 14:20Aug 30 9:01 PM
- ATLANTA: 14
End of 3rd
Aug 30 8:59 PM
- == Preseason == Atlanta Touchdown - 49 yard pass from Dominique Davis to Kevin Cone. (Matt B
Falcons 14, Jaguars 14 3rd - 8:31Aug 30 8:40 PM
- == Preseason == Jacksonville Touchdown - 77-yard pass from Chad Henne to Kevin Elliott. (Jos
Falcons 7, Jaguars 14 3rd - 10:40Aug 30 8:29 PM
- ATLANTA: 7
Aug 30 8:04 PM
- ATLANTA: 7
2nd Quarter - 2:24
Falcons 7, Jaguars 7 2nd - 2:24Aug 30 7:55 PM
- ATLANTA: 7
End of 1st
Aug 30 7:16 PM
- == Preseason == Atlanta Touchdown - 5-yard run by Jacquizz Rodgers. (Matt Bryant kick).
Falcons 7, Jaguars 0 1st - 14:44Aug 30 6:43 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 30 6:39 PM
- Falcons' Vic Beasley Jr. samples new dual role as OLB and DE May 23
- Jaguars' Fowler returns, ready for bigger role after injury May 23
- Jaguars lose rookie DE Woodard to torn Achilles tendon May 23
- Jaguars 1st-round draft pick Ramsey signs rookie contract May 22
- Jaguars rookie Jalen Ramsey tears meniscus during workouts May 19
- Jaguars sign veteran Linkenbach, release Oberkrom May 17
- Heuerman eager to get on the field after sitting out '15 May 16
- Seahawks sign LB Khairi Fortt, waives LB Christian French May 16
- Jaguars sign 4th-round draft pick Sheldon Day to rookie deal May 16
- Blank says work on Falcons' new stadium is on schedule May 16
- Veteran departures pave way for duo in Bears rookie camp May 13
- Jaguars linebacker Myles Jack signs 4-year rookie contract May 13