Moore helps Lions edge BillsAug 31, 2012 - 2:36 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Kellen Moore's touchdown run in the fourth quarter was the winning score as the Detroit Lions took a 38-32 win over the Buffalo Bills in the final preseason game for both squads.
Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson hooked up for a score while Shaun Hill and Mikel Leshoure both scored on the ground for the Lions.
Detroit finished the preseason with a mark of 2-2 and will open their season on Sept. 9 at home against the St. Louis Rams.
Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyler Thigpen each threw a touchdown pass for the Bills.
Tarvaris Jackson, who was acquired by the Bills from the Seattle Seahawks on Monday, had a shaky performance. He fumbled his first snap and threw one pass, which was picked off by Amari Spievey at the Detroit 6 with 4:33 remaining in the game.
Buffalo went 0-4 in the preseason and will begin its 2012 campaign on the road against the New York Jets on Sept. 9.
After Fitzpatrick and Steve Johnson hooked up on a 4-yard TD on the first drive of the game to give Buffalo a 7-0 lead, the Lions reached the end zone four straight times.
Stafford and Johnson got together on a 24-yard TD play and Buffalo fumbled the ensuing kickoff, leading to a two-yard score from Leshoure.
A three-and-out by the Bills saw the Lions work with a short field and cap the 40-yard drive on a one-yard plunge into the end zone by Hill. Jonte Green then picked off a Thigpen pass and went 23 yards into the end zone to give Detroit a 28-7 lead going into the second.
Rian Lindell's 30-yard field goal was the only points of the second quarter as the game went to the half with Detroit up, 28-10.
Buffalo scored a pair of touchdowns in the third to make it a four-point game on a one-yard run from Johnny White and 4-yard TD catch by Dorin Dickerson from Thigpen.
Jason Hanson's 39-yard field goal less than a minute into the fourth gave Detroit a seven-point edge, but Marcus Easley returned the kickoff 100 yards and the Bills converted a 2-point play to make it a 32-31 game.
Detroit countered to take the lead back on a 1-yard rushing score by Moore with 10:20 remaining.
Thigpen led the Bills to the Lions 24, but with eight seconds left, his pass intended for Naaman Roosevelt was picked off by Justin Miller.
- BUFFALO: 32
Aug 30 10:20 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Touchdown - 1-yard run by Kellen Moore. (Jason Hanson kick).
Bills 32, Lions 38 4th - 10:20Aug 30 9:51 PM
- == Preseason == Buffalo Touchdown - 100-yard kickoff return by Marcus Easley. (Tyler Thigpen
Bills 32, Lions 31 4th - 13:53Aug 30 9:40 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Field Goal - 39-yarder by Jason Hanson.
Bills 24, Lions 31 4th - 14:10Aug 30 9:33 PM
- BUFFALO: 24
End of 3rd
Aug 30 9:29 PM
- == Preseason == Buffalo Touchdown - 4-yard pass from Tyler Thigpen to Dorin Dickerson. (Rian
Bills 24, Lions 28 3rd - 7:06Aug 30 9:14 PM
- == Preseason == Buffalo Touchdown - 1-yard run by Johnny White. (Rian Lindell kick).
Bills 17, Lions 28 3rd - 10:35Aug 30 9:02 PM
- BUFFALO: 10
Aug 30 8:33 PM
- == Preseason == Buffalo Field Goal - 30-yarder by Rian Lindell.
Bills 10, Lions 28 2nd - 1:52Aug 30 8:25 PM
- BUFFALO: 7
End of 1st
Aug 30 7:52 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Touchdown - 23-yard interception return by Jonte Green. (Jason Hanso
Bills 7, Lions 28 1st - 0:13Aug 30 7:50 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Touchdown - 1-yard run by Shaun Hill. (Jason Hanson kick).
Bills 7, Lions 21 1st - 0:54Aug 30 7:46 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Touchdown - 2-yard run by Mikel Leshoure. (Jason Hanson kick).
Bills 7, Lions 14 1st - 4:25Aug 30 7:30 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Touchdown - 24-yard pass from Matthew Stafford to Calvin Johnson. (J
Bills 7, Lions 7 1st - 5:03Aug 30 7:25 PM
- == Preseason == Buffalo Touchdown - 4-yard pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Steve Johnson. (Ria
Bills 7, Lions 0 1st - 8:22Aug 30 7:16 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 30 7:07 PM
- QB Jake Rudock seems to be in good position with Lions May 19
- Bills' Lawson to have shoulder surgery; Watkins' foot hurt May 17
- Saints sign 3 tryout players from last week's rookie camp May 16
- Veteran DE Jason Jones signs with Dolphins May 16
- AP source: Jones in final stages of talks with Dolphins May 13
- Buffalo Bills sign 5th-round draft pick, Jonathan Williams May 13
- Detroit's Killebrew was an aggressive athlete even as a kid May 12
- Buffalo Bills sign 6th-round draft pick, receiver Listenbee May 12
- Buffalo Bills to retire Bruce Smith's No. 78 at home opener May 11
- Buffalo Bills claim running back Dri Archer off waivers May 10
- Lions rookie knew about team's woes from Alabama roommate May 10
- Lions acquire Patriots LB Jon Bostic for conditional pick May 9