Titans edge Saints in final preseason gameAug 31, 2012 - 2:27 AM Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - Jake Locker threw for 81 yards in his last tuneup to start the regular season under center, as the Tennessee Titans edged the New Orleans Saints, 10-6, in the final preseason game for both teams.
Locker, Tennessee's first-round selection in the 2011 draft, completed 9-of-16 passes Thursday night. He was named the team's starting signal-caller last week after coming out on top of a close competition with battle-tested veteran Matt Hasselbeck.
Locker's first regular season start will come at home against the defending AFC champion New England Patriots on Sept. 9.
Third-string quarterback Sean Canfield played the entire contest for the Saints and connected on 31-of-45 passes for 288 yards and a pair of interceptions.
Garrett Hartley booted a pair of field goals for the Saints, who will begin the regular season Sept. 9 at home against the Washington Redskins.
Locker played most of the first half until Hasselbeck took over with under two minutes remaining. Locker led the Titans to a score on their first possession, after Tennessee recovered a fumble by Travaris Cadet. Rob Bironas kicked a 24- yard field goal.
Hartley kicked a 38-yard field goal in the final minute of the opening quarter and added a 21-yarder midway through the second.
Locker fumbled the ball away while scrambling up the middle deep inside Saints territory late in the half. Hasselbeck completed 3-of-4 passes for 19 yards before yielding to Rusty Smith, who ended 4-of-9 for 27 yards.
An interception by linebacker Tim Shaw led to the only touchdown of the game - a 1-yard run by Jamie Harper early in the third quarter.
Canfield was picked off by Tommie Campbell in Tennessee territory with 4:31 remaining in the game. The Saints got as far as the Titans' 30 before time expired.
The Saints ended the preseason 2-3, while the Titans finished 3-1.
- NEW ORLEANS: 6
Aug 30 10:03 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 6
End of 3rd
Aug 30 9:16 PM
- == Preseason == Tennessee Touchdown - 1-yard run by Jamie Harper (Rob Bironas kick).
Saints 6, Titans 10 3rd - 9:00Aug 30 8:55 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 6
Aug 30 8:18 PM
- == Preseason == New Orleans Field Goal - 21-yarder by Garrett Hartley.
Saints 6, Titans 3 2nd - 6:50Aug 30 7:56 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 3
End of 1st
Aug 30 7:40 PM
- == Preseason == New Orleans Field Goal - 38-yarder by Garrett Hartley.
Saints 3, Titans 3 1st - 0:35Aug 30 7:37 PM
- == Preseason == Tennessee Field Goal - 24-yarder by Rob Bironas.
Saints 0, Titans 3 1st - 10:37Aug 30 7:16 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 30 7:07 PM
- Saints add veteran receiver Brown, kicker Barth May 23
- Titans agree to terms with 8th pick overall Jack Conklin May 23
- Saints owner Tom Benson discusses why he disinherits kin May 20
- Hearing set for suspect in killing of former Saints star May 20
- The Latest: Brief hearing reveals little in Will Smith case May 20
- Saints sign 4th-round pick Onyemata to 4-year contract May 18
- Saints add cornerback Pruitt, cut kicker Scobee May 17
- Undrafted rookie retires days after signing with Titans May 17
- Saints sign 3 tryout players from last week's rookie camp May 16
- Panthers release CB Brandon Boykin; sign 5 tryout players May 16
- Titans waive Mettenberger, clearing space for 4 new signees May 16
- Saints coaches: Top pick Rankins in good shape, learns fast May 14