Titans edge JaguarsDec 23, 2013 - 12:34 AM Jacksonville, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - Ryan Fitzpatrick completed 17-of-26 passes for 181 yards, one touchdown and one interception to lead the Tennessee Titans to a 20-16 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Shonn Greene carried the ball 19 times for 91 yards and touchdown and Nate Washington caught six passes for 117 yards and a touchdown for the Titans (6-9), who snapped a three-game skid.
Chad Henne went 24-for-34 for 237 yards, two touchdowns and one interception, Mike Brown hauled in five passes for 71 yards and a touchdown and Marcedes Lewis caught four passes for 50 yards and a touchdown for Jacksonville (4-11), which will travel to Indianapolis to face the Colts next Sunday.
With five seconds left in the third quarter Tennessee went for it on 4th-and-2 and Fitzpatrick scrambled three yards for the first. Two plays later Washington caught a Fitzpatrick pass for a 30-yard touchdown with 14:25 left in the game to give the Titans a 20-16 lead.
Jacksonville did not respond the rest of the way. With 46 seconds left in the game George Wilson made a one-handed interception on a Henne pass intended for Lewis.
"I don't know if our team would say, 'Hey, let's go next week and get our fifth.' I think our team would say, 'You know what we've gotten better from the time we started to where we are now.' At least there's a sense that we've grown and that we've gotten better and that we've become more competitive." said Jaguars coach Gus Bradley.
Tennessee began the second half with the ball, and on 3rd-and-12 Fitzpatrick threw deep down the middle and Delanie Walker could not bring it in as it tipped off his fingers and intercepted by Alan Ball.
The Jaguars took advantage of the interception with a Josh Scobee 36-yard field goal to make the score 16-6 Jacksonville.
"I think the second half was finally how we wanted to play, the first half was a little inconsistent in all the phases really. We didn't look as good as I hoped we would coming out. I guess credit them for that. I thought the second half was really what we hopefully would be all about." said Tennessee coach Mike Munchak.
On the ensuing drive, Tennessee took the ball 80 yards over 11 plays and Greene capped it off with a 1-yard touchdown run. Greene had a 29-yard carry three plays earlier to take the Titans inside the Jaguars' 5-yard line.
"We felt like we'd be able to come in and run the ball today. The guys up front did a great job and I think the defense did a great job too, in holding them and allowing us there at the end to kind of grind it out. I think the guys upfront really stepped up today and the running backs stepped up and did a great job." said Fitzpatrick.
To open the second quarter the Titans drove to the Jaguars' 1-yard line before turning the ball over on downs. Fitzpatrick threw a fourth down pass to the right to Walker but sailed it over his head.
Tennessee went for its third fourth-down conversion later in the second quarter. Greene ran for four yards on a 4th-and-1, which led to a 52-yard Rob Bironas field goal.
On the kickoff following the field goal, Bironas squibbed the kick and it rolled out of bounds inside the 5-yard line with 1:55 left in the first half. Jacksonville took advantage of the short field, and on 3rd-and-10 Henne hit Brown for a 24-yard reception to take the Jaguars to the Tennessee 36-yard line. Four plays later Henne hooked up with Brown again for a 7-yard score. The Jaguars went into the locker room with a 13-6 lead.
A Bironas 45-yard field goal 5:55 into the game got the Titans on the board first. Washington had consecutive catches for 26 and 25 yards to highlight the drive.
Jacksonville responded with a 9-play, 80-yard drive that ended with a Lewis 4- yard touchdown reception with 4:45 left in the first quarter. Lewis had a 30- yard catch three plays earlier to take the Jaguars into Titans territory.
Lewis became the second player in Jaguars history to have touchdown catches four games in a row, Reggie Williams did it 2007-2008 ... Tennessee leads the all-time series 21-17 ... The Titans outgained the Jaguars 346-289 ... Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew ran 13 times for 45 yards and caught four passes for 24 yards.
- Rob Bironas kicked off 72 yards from the Tennessee 35 to the Jacksonville -7. Kerry Taylor to the Jacksonville 36 for 43 yards.
Dec 22 3:54 PM
- TENNESSEE: 20
End of Regulation
Dec 22 3:54 PM
- Rob Bironas extra point is good.
Titans 20, Jaguars 16 4th - 14:25Dec 22 3:15 PM
- Ryan Fitzpatrick pass to Nate Washington for 30 yards.
Titans 19, Jaguars 16 4th - 14:25Dec 22 3:14 PM
- TENNESSEE: 13
End of 3rd
Dec 22 3:11 PM
- Rob Bironas extra point is good.
Titans 13, Jaguars 16 3rd - 4:01Dec 22 2:57 PM
- Shonn Greene rushed left for 1 yard.
Titans 12, Jaguars 16 3rd - 4:01Dec 22 2:57 PM
- 36-yarder by Josh Scobee.
Titans 6, Jaguars 16 3rd - 9:22Dec 22 2:47 PM
- TENNESSEE: 6
Dec 22 2:22 PM
- Chad Henne pass to Mike Brown for 7 yards.
Titans 6, Jaguars 13 2nd - 0:43Dec 22 2:16 PM
- 52-yarder by Rob Bironas.
Titans 6, Jaguars 7 2nd - 1:55Dec 22 2:08 PM
- TENNESSEE: 3
End of 1st
Dec 22 1:38 PM
- Josh Scobee extra point is good.
Titans 3, Jaguars 7 1st - 4:45Dec 22 1:24 PM
- Chad Henne pass to Marcedes Lewis for 4 yards.
Titans 3, Jaguars 6 1st - 4:45Dec 22 1:23 PM
- 45-yarder by Rob Bironas.
Titans 3, Jaguars 0 1st - 9:05Dec 22 1:13 PM
- TENNESSEE: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Dec 22 1:03 PM
- Jaguars' Fowler returns, ready for bigger role after injury May 23
- Jaguars lose rookie DE Woodard to torn Achilles tendon May 23
- Titans agree to terms with 8th pick overall Jack Conklin May 23
- Jaguars 1st-round draft pick Ramsey signs rookie contract May 22
- Jaguars rookie Jalen Ramsey tears meniscus during workouts May 19
- Jaguars sign veteran Linkenbach, release Oberkrom May 17
- Undrafted rookie retires days after signing with Titans May 17
- Heuerman eager to get on the field after sitting out '15 May 16
- Seahawks sign LB Khairi Fortt, waives LB Christian French May 16
- Jaguars sign 4th-round draft pick Sheldon Day to rookie deal May 16
- Panthers release CB Brandon Boykin; sign 5 tryout players May 16
- Titans waive Mettenberger, clearing space for 4 new signees May 16