Jackson leads Seahawks past ChargersAug 9, 2013 - 5:04 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Tarvaris Jackson tossed a pair of touchdown passes in relief of starter Russell Wilson, as the Seattle Seahawks earned a 31-10 victory over the San Diego Chargers Thursday in the preseason opener for both teams at Qualcomm Stadium.
Wilson emerged as Seattle's future during his rookie campaign last season, as the third-round pick led the Seahawks to an 11-5 record and had his squad within a play of the NFC Championship Game before a last-second Matt Bryant field goal lifted the Atlanta Falcons to victory.
Wilson played just two series Thursday, going 2-for-6 for 23 yards while rushing twice for nine yards. Jackson, who started under center for the Seahawks back in 2011, finished 8-of-9 for 128 yards.
Brady Quinn completed 6-of-11 passes for 59 yards and a score, while rookie running back Christine Michael rushed 16 times for 89 yards in the victory.
San Diego went 7-9 last season and missed the playoffs for a third straight season, prompting the firing of Norv Turner, who had manned the San Diego sideline since 2007.
In his first game action under new head coach Mike McCoy, quarterback Philip Rivers went an efficient 5-of-6 for 45 yards in just one series of work.
Backup Charlie Whitehurst threw a pair of interceptions in relief, while rookie Brad Sorensen completed 7-of-10 passes for 84 yards and a score.
Ladarius Green hauled in San Diego's lone touchdown of the game.
Rivers' lone series produced a 28-yard field goal from Nick Novak, but Quinn answered early in the second with an 11-yard scoring strike to Jermaine Kearse.
Carson Wiggs added a 22-yard field goal for Seattle early in the third before Spencer Ware scampered six yards for a score to make it 17-3 Seattle.
Jackson found Stephen Williams for a 42-yard TD early in the fourth, and after Green answered within a 21-yard touchdown grab shortly after, Jackson hit Derrick Coleman for a 6-yard score to account for the final margin.
- SEATTLE: 31
SAN DIEGO: 10
Aug 9 12:53 AM
- Seattle Touchdown - 6-yard pass from Tarvaris Jackson to Derrick Coleman. (C
Seahawks 31, Chargers 10 4th - 4:28Aug 9 12:39 AM
- San Diego Touchdown - 21-yard pass Brad Sorensen to Ladarius Green. (Nick No
Seahawks 24, Chargers 10 4th - 12:30Aug 9 12:28 AM
- Seattle Touchdown - 42-yard pass from Tarvaris Jackson to Stephen Williams.
Seahawks 24, Chargers 3 4th - 14:52Aug 9 12:22 AM
- SEATTLE: 17
SAN DIEGO: 3
End of 3rd
Aug 9 12:15 AM
- Seattle Touchdown - 6-yard run by Spencer Ware. (Steven Hauschka kick).
Seahawks 17, Chargers 3 3rd - 4:06Aug 9 12:06 AM
- Seattle Field Goal - 22-yarder by Steven Hauschka.
Seahawks 10, Chargers 3 3rd - 7:29Aug 8 11:54 PM
- SEATTLE: 7
SAN DIEGO: 3
Aug 8 11:27 PM
- Seattle Touchdown - 11-yard pass from Brady Quinn to Jermaine Kearse. (Steve
Seahawks 7, Chargers 3 2nd - 1:56Aug 8 11:17 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 3
End of 1st
Aug 8 10:40 PM
- San Diego Field Goal - 28-yarder by Nick Novak.
Seahawks 0, Chargers 3 1st - 7:31Aug 8 10:17 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 8 10:08 PM
- Saints add veteran receiver Brown, kicker Barth May 23
- Ex-NFL player chosen to be next Pittsburgh schools head May 19
- Steelers sign tight end David Johnson to 1-year deal May 17
- Jaguars sign veteran Linkenbach, release Oberkrom May 17
- Seahawks sign LB Khairi Fortt, waives LB Christian French May 16
- Russell Wilson takes jab at NC State; great lesson learned May 15
- Chargers rookie Joey Bosa back in his element May 13
- Veteran departures pave way for duo in Bears rookie camp May 13
- Seahawks' Lockette steps away after injury: 'Life goes on' May 12
- Wednesday Sports In Brief May 12
- Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette retiring May 11
- Chiefs swap DBs, offensive linemen after rookie minicamp May 10