Hill, Lions top JetsAug 10, 2013 - 2:55 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Shaun Hill had a touchdown pass as the Detroit Lions took a 26-17 win over the New York Jets in the preseason opener for both clubs on Friday.
Hill went 11-for-18 for 136 yards, while starter Matthew Stafford was 3-for-8 for 58 yards over two series for the Lions, who finished dead last in the NFC North last year with a 4-12 record.
Calvin Johnson, fresh off his record-setting season in 2012, caught all three of Stafford's completions.
Mark Sanchez threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown on his first series, but settled down from there and went 10-for-13 with 125 yards and a score for the Jets, who went 6-10 to tie for last place in the AFC East last season.
Second-round pick Geno Smith made his NFL debut on Friday, but it was a short one as he went 6-for-7 for 47 yards and left early in the third quarter after rolling his right ankle. The Jets haven't released any word on the extent of the injury, or whether Smith will miss any time.
Ziggy Ansah's first defensive series in the NFL proved fruitful as the fifth overall pick in the 2013 draft intercepted a Sanchez pass and took it into the end zone from 14 yards out for a 7-0 lead.
Detroit's second offensive possession saw the team get into field goal range and David Akers boot a 47-yarder for a 10-0 lead.
The Jets answered on their following possession as Sanchez marched the team down the field and got into the end zone as he hit Jeff Cumberland for a 26- yard score.
A Matt Willis 15-yard touchdown catch from Hill and 35-yard field goal by Akers in the second quarter gave the Lions a 20-7 lead going into the halftime break.
Zach Rogers caught an 11-yard score from Greg McEleroy and Nick Folk hit a 51- yard field goal for the Jets in the third quarter, while Harvard Rugland connected on a 49-yard field goal for the Lions in the third to make it a 23-17 game going into the fourth.
Rugland's 50-yard field goal accounted for the only points of the fourth quarter to cap the scoring in the game.
- NEW YORK: 17
Aug 9 10:39 PM
- Detroit Field Goal - 50-yarder by Havard Rugland.
Jets 17, Lions 26 4th - 9:43Aug 9 10:19 PM
- NEW YORK: 17
End of 3rd
Aug 9 10:08 PM
- NEW YORK: 14
End of 3rd
Aug 9 10:04 PM
- Detroit Field Goal - 49-yarder by Havard Rugland.
Jets 14, Lions 23 3rd - 2:13Aug 9 10:01 PM
- NY Jets Touchdown - 11-yard pass from Greg McElroy to Zach Rogers (Billy Cin
Jets 14, Lions 20 3rd - 4:51Aug 9 9:46 PM
- NEW YORK: 7
Aug 9 9:07 PM
- Detroit Field Goal - 35-yarder by David Akers.
Jets 7, Lions 20 2nd - 0:04Aug 9 9:06 PM
- Detroit Touchdown - 15-yard pass from Shaun Hill to Matt Willis (David Akers
Jets 7, Lions 17 2nd - 2:09Aug 9 8:52 PM
- NEW YORK: 7
End of 1st
Aug 9 8:18 PM
- NY Jets Touchdown - 26-yard pass from MArk Sanchez to Jeff Cumberland (Nick
Jets 7, Lions 10 1st - 0:42Aug 9 8:15 PM
- Detroit Field Goal - 47-yarder by David Akers.
Jets 0, Lions 10 1st - 4:42Aug 9 8:07 PM
- Detroit Touchdown - 14-yard interception return by Ezekiel Ansah (David aker
Jets 0, Lions 7 1st - 11:18Aug 9 7:48 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 9 7:37 PM
- Giants defensive tackle Damon Harrison buys mom a house May 23
- Fitzpatrick wants reunion with Jets, has no plans to retire May 23
- QB Jake Rudock seems to be in good position with Lions May 19
- Jets' Darrelle Revis fires longtime agents May 19
- Saints sign 3 tryout players from last week's rookie camp May 16
- Veteran DE Jason Jones signs with Dolphins May 16
- AP source: Jones in final stages of talks with Dolphins May 13
- Jets sign third-rounder Jordan Jenkins to 4-year deal May 13
- Veteran departures pave way for duo in Bears rookie camp May 13
- Panthers hope Bradberry, other young CBs can replace Norman May 13
- Detroit's Killebrew was an aggressive athlete even as a kid May 12
- Jets sign draft picks Christian Hackenberg, Charone Peake May 12