Panthers edge BearsAug 10, 2013 - 3:22 AM Charlotte, NC (Sports Network) - Cam Newton threw a touchdown pass on Carolina's second possession and the Panthers upended the Chicago Bears, 24-17, in the preseason opener for both teams.
Cornerback Josh Norman had a pair of interceptions, one on Chicago's first offensive play and the other a 60-yard return for a TD in the third quarter.
Newton, who played the first three series, completed 3-of-6 passes for 16 yards. That included a 3-yard score to Brandon LaFell.
There was some excitement for Bears rookie Jon Bostic. The linebacker, who was picked in the second round out of Florida, picked off Newton and rumbled 51 yards to the end zone.
The Bears played their first contest under new coach Marc Trestman, who replaced Lovie Smith. Trestman was a two-time Grey Cup winner as the pilot of the Montreal Alouettes.
Derek Anderson connected on 8-of-15 throws for 133 yards and was picked off once for the Panthers, who finished 7-9 last and missed the playoffs for a fourth straight year. Jimmy Clausen was 5-of-9 for 51 yards.
Chicago's first offensive play resulted in a turnover as Jay Cutler's pass was intercepted. Norman later picked off a Matt Blanchard pass, and the return boosted the Panthers to a 21-10 lead.
Cutler played the entire first quarter and finished 6-of-8 for 56 yards. Josh McCown saw action in the second quarter and Blanchard ended 15-of-18 for 194 yards.
Kenjon Barner, a sixth-round draft pick from Oregon, scored a 5-yard TD run in the closing minute of the second quarter for the Panthers.
Former LSU running back Michael Ford, who went undrafted, scored on a 4-yard run early in the fourth quarter to get the Bears within 21-17.
Graham Gano countered with a 50-yard field goal with 7:38 remaining, and Blanchard couldn't drive the Bears past the Carolina 42 in the closing minutes.
The Bears, who went 10-6 last season, saw nose tackle Henry Melton leave the game in the first half due to a concussion.
- CHICAGO: 17
Aug 9 11:08 PM
- Carolina Field Goal - 50-yarder by Graham Gano.
Bears 17, Panthers 24 4th - 7:38Aug 9 10:44 PM
- Chicago Touchdwon - 4-yard run by Michael Ford. (Robbie Gould kick).
Bears 17, Panthers 21 4th - 12:53Aug 9 10:35 PM
- CHICAGO: 10
End of 3rd
Aug 9 10:21 PM
- Carolina Touchdown - 60-yard interception return by Josh Norman. (Morgan Lin
Bears 10, Panthers 21 3rd - 6:13Aug 9 10:08 PM
- CHICAGO: 10
Aug 9 9:40 PM
- Carolina Touchdown - 5-yard run by Kenjon Barner. (Morgan Lineberry kick).
Bears 10, Panthers 14 2nd - 0:18Aug 9 9:36 PM
- Chicago Field Goal - 35-yarder by Robbie Gould.
Bears 10, Panthers 7 2nd - 10:15Aug 9 9:07 PM
- CHICAGO: 7
End of 1st
Aug 9 8:54 PM
- Chicago Touchdown - 51-yard interception return by Jon Bostic. (Robbie Gould
Bears 7, Panthers 7 1st - 6:09Aug 9 8:35 PM
- Carolina Touchdown - 3-yard pass from Cam Newton to Brandon LaFell. (Graham
Bears 0, Panthers 7 1st - 10:08Aug 9 8:29 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 9 8:11 PM
- Falcons' Vic Beasley Jr. samples new dual role as OLB and DE May 23
- Panthers' Thompson cited in accident that injured ex-Duke QB May 23
- Ex-NFL player launching site to honor Joplin tornado victim May 20
- Panthers release CB Brandon Boykin; sign 5 tryout players May 16
- Veteran departures pave way for duo in Bears rookie camp May 13
- Panthers hope Bradberry, other young CBs can replace Norman May 13
- Panthers sign DT Vernon Butler; all 5 picks under contract May 13
- Panthers sign CB Sanchez; DT Butler only draft pick unsigned May 12
- Eagles hire Joe Douglas, Andy Weidl to lead personnel staff May 12
- Panthers owner Richardson to have another shoulder surgery May 11
- Panthers sign 3rd-round draft pick Worley from West Virginia May 10
- Lions acquire Patriots LB Jon Bostic for conditional pick May 9