Texans beat Vikings to open preseasonAug 10, 2013 - 3:04 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - T.J. Yates completed 13-of-21 passes for 151 yards and a touchdown as the Houston Texans downed the Minnesota Vikings, 27-13, in the preseason opener for both teams.
Starter Matt Schaub was 5-for-5 for 34 yards in his only series and rookie wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins hauled in four passes for 52 yards and a touchdown for the Texans, who were knocked out of the playoffs in the AFC Divisional round by the New England Patriots after finishing with a franchise- best 12-4 mark in the regular season.
Rookie quarterback Case Keenum was 13-for-18 passing for 125 yards and a touchdown in the victory.
Christian Ponder was 1-for-2 for 15 yards and an interception, while newly acquired quarterback Matt Cassel completed 12-of-19 passes for 212 yards, a touchdown and an interception.
Both teams rested their key players as running back Arian Foster and wide receiver Andre Johnson were inactive for the Texans, while running back Adrian Peterson and newly-acquired wide receiver Greg Jennings sat out for Minnesota.
Zach Line hauled in a 61-yard touchdown pass and rookie receiver Cordarrelle Patterson caught four passes for 54 yards for the Vikings, who finished 10-6 before losing to the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Wild Card game.
Houston got on the board first as Randy Bullock split the uprights from 48 yards out, but Blair Walsh tied the game with just under six minutes left in the first with a 22-yard field goal.
Cassel connected with Line 3 1/2 minutes into the second quarter on a 61-yard catch and run for a score.
Hopkins caught a 34-yard touchdown pass from Yates with 6:24 left in the first half to tie the game, but Walsh nailed a 33-yarder with 1:19 to play to give the Vikings a 13-10 edge heading into the locker room.
Bullock's 21-yard field goal with 4:28 left in the third tied the game before Lestar Jean caught a two-yard touchdown pass from Keenum to cap a nine-play, 72-yard drive with 10:26 to go in the fourth.
Rookie running back Ray Graham found the end zone from five yards out with just over 4 1/2 minutes remaining to make it 27-13.
- HOUSTON: 27
Aug 9 10:51 PM
- Houston Touchdown - 5-yard run by Ray Graham. (Randy Bullock kick).
Texans 27, Vikings 13 4th - 4:31Aug 9 10:41 PM
- Houston Touchdown - 2-yard pass from Case Keenum to Lestar Jean. (Randy Bull
Texans 20, Vikings 13 4th - 10:26Aug 9 10:26 PM
- HOUSTON: 13
End of 3rd
Aug 9 10:19 PM
- Houston Field Goal - 21-yarder by Randy Bullock.
Texans 13, Vikings 13 3rd - 4:28Aug 9 10:11 PM
- HOUSTON: 10
Aug 9 9:28 PM
- Minnesota Field Goal - 33-yarder by Blair Walsh.
Texans 10, Vikings 13 2nd - 1:19Aug 9 9:24 PM
- Houston Touchdown - 34-yard pass from T.J. Yates to DeAndre Hopkins. (Randy
Texans 10, Vikings 10 2nd - 6:24Aug 9 9:02 PM
- Minnesota Touchdown - 61-yard pass from Matt Cassel to Zach Line. (Blair Wal
Texans 3, Vikings 10 2nd - 12:26Aug 9 8:48 PM
- HOUSTON: 3
End of 1st
Aug 9 8:40 PM
- Minnesota Field Goal - 22-yarder by Blair Walsh.
Texans 3, Vikings 3 1st - 5:53Aug 9 8:30 PM
- Houston Field Goal - 48-yarder by Randy Bullock.
Texans 3, Vikings 0 1st - 11:01Aug 9 8:15 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 9 8:07 PM
- Minnesota businessman Wheelock Whitney Jr. dies May 20
- Titans waive Mettenberger, clearing space for 4 new signees May 16
- Veteran departures pave way for duo in Bears rookie camp May 13
- Vikings sign 1st-round draft pick WR Laquon Treadwell May 12
- Vikings sign former Augustana RB C.J. Ham May 10
- Broncos center Matt Paradis now the mainstay on the O-line May 9
- New York Giants sign 4 players who had tryout last week May 9
- Paxton Lynch makes his Broncos debut May 6
- Jets' Hackenberg 'buried' criticism, excited for fresh start May 6
- Hey, rook: The Vikings don't have that much room for you May 6
- Vikings sign 6 more draft picks; only Treadwell unsigned May 6
- Adrian Peterson donating $100K to flood relief in hometown May 4