Raiders slip past Cowboys for preseason winAug 10, 2013 - 5:22 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Flynn completed 4-of-5 passes in his first game as a Raider, helping Oakland open its preseason schedule with a 19-17 victory over the Dallas Cowboys on Friday.
Flynn was acquired from Seattle during the offseason to guide an Oakland squad that went just 4-12 last season under first-year head coach Dennis Allen.
Terrelle Pryor completed 6-of-10 passes for 88 yards with an interception in backup duty, while rookie Matt McGloin finished 4-of-7 for 78 yards and a score for the Raiders.
Tony Romo, who sat out Dallas' preseason opener as a precaution, connected on 6-of-8 passes for 88 yards. Backup Kyle Orton went a perfect 6-of-6 for 52 yards and a touchdown in the setback.
Dez Bryant led Dallas' receiving corps with three catches for 55 yards.
Flynn turned the ball over on Oakland's first touch, as he was sacked by Sean Lee and fumbled the ball to give Dallas possession at the Oakland 16.
Dan Bailey buried a 38-yard field goal after the turnover, but Flynn was able to move the Raiders into position for Sebastian Janikowski's 51-yard boot that tied the game.
Pryor took over under center on Oakland's next possession and was picked off by J.J. Wilcox deep in Dallas territory. Orton converted the turnover into points, finding Cole Beasley for a 15-yard touchdown to make it 10-3.
Janikowski knocked down a 40-yarder late in the second before rookie Eddy Carmona added a 42-yard field goal early in the third to make it 10-9.
McGloin put the Raiders in front with a 30-yard scoring strike to Brice Butler, but Joseph Randle punched it in from a yard out early in the fourth to give Dallas a 17-16 edge.
Carmona's 23-yard field goal near the midpoint of the fourth proved to be the difference.
- DALLAS: 17
Aug 10 12:58 AM
- Oakland Field Goal - 23-yarder by Eddy Carmona.
Cowboys 17, Raiders 19 4th - 8:11Aug 10 12:35 AM
- Dallas Touchdown - 1-yard run by Joseph Randle. (Dan Bailey kick).
Cowboys 17, Raiders 16 4th - 11:07Aug 10 12:25 AM
- DALLAS: 10
End of 3rd
Aug 10 12:14 AM
- Oakland Touchdown - 30-yard pass from Matt McGloin to Brice Butler. (Eddy Ca
Cowboys 10, Raiders 16 3rd - 8:54Aug 9 11:54 PM
- Oakland Field Goal - 42-yarder by Eddy Carmona.
Cowboys 10, Raiders 9 3rd - 12:23Aug 9 11:41 PM
- DALLAS: 10
Aug 9 11:22 PM
- Dallas Touchdown - 15-yard pass from Kyle Orton to Cole Beasley. (Dan Bailey
Cowboys 10, Raiders 3 2nd - 0:41Aug 9 11:11 PM
- DALLAS: 3
End of 1st
Aug 9 10:38 PM
- Oakland Field Goal - 51-yarder by Sebastian Janikowski.
Cowboys 3, Raiders 3 1st - 4:02Aug 9 10:29 PM
- Dallas Field Goal - 38-yarder by Dan Bailey.
Cowboys 3, Raiders 0 1st - 10:51Aug 9 10:20 PM
- DALLAS: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 9 10:09 PM
- Dallas Cowboys sign injured linebacker Jaylon Smith May 20
- Broncos still playing the Rodney Dangerfield card May 18
- Cowboys sign 1st-round pick RB Elliott to $25M, 4-year deal May 18
- Raiders 1st-round pick Karl Joseph not ready for practice May 13
- Seahawks' Lockette steps away after injury: 'Life goes on' May 12
- Wednesday Sports In Brief May 12
- Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette retiring May 11
- Raiders sign undrafted free agent Greg Townsend Jr. May 11
- Raiders sign 5th-round pick DeAndre Washington May 10
- Raiders sign free-agent DE Damontre Moore May 10
- Gathers trades high tops for cleats, takes shot with Cowboys May 6
- Raiders DE Mario Edwards says he has been cleared to play May 6