Brees, Saints sharp in win over RaidersAug 17, 2013 - 3:42 AM New Orleans, LA (Sports Network) - Drew Brees went 14-for-18 for 202 yards and a touchdown as the New Orleans Saints defeated the Oakland Raiders, 28-20, on Friday.
Mark Ingram rushed nine times for 30 yards and a touchdown for New Orleans, which edged the Chiefs, 17-13, in their preseason opener last week.
The Saints, who are transitioning from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense under newly appointed defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, limited the Raiders to just 185 total yards and recorded seven sacks and a safety.
Matt Flynn was 12-for-16 for 124 yards and a touchdown while Darren McFadden ran five times for 17 yards for Oakland, which narrowly defeated the Cowboys, 19-17, in their preseason opener a week ago.
Garrett Hartley scored on the Saints' opening drive, booting a 53-yard field goal. On their next drive, Ingram pushed forward from two yards out for the score. Near the end of the first quarter, Brees connected on a 16-yard touchdown pass to Kenny Stills.
In the second, Hartley split the uprights from 31 and 30 yards out to give the Saints a 23-0 advantage. However, Flynn found Denarius Moore for an 18-yard touchdown as the first half was coming to a close.
Late in the third, the Saints were on their own 10-yard line after they opened their drive with a 10-yard offensive holding penalty. Backup quarterback Seneca Wallace was sacked by David Bass at the 1-yard line and fumbled, which was recovered by Ryan Robinson for a touchdown.
A 46-yard field goal by Eddy Carmona with 19 seconds left in the period brought Oakland within six. Sebastian Janikowski drilled a field goal from 50 yards out on Oakland's first drive in the fourth to cut the deficit to 23-20.
Midway through the period, the Raiders had their backs against the wall at the 1-yard line and Jamize Olawale was tackled by Will Herring in his own end zone for a safety.
Hartley sealed the game on the ensuing possession with a 28-yard field goal.
- OAKLAND: 20
NEW ORLEANS: 28
Aug 16 11:16 PM
- New Orleans Field Goal - 28-yarder by Garrett Hartley.
Raiders 20, Saints 28 4th - 2:53Aug 16 11:07 PM
- New Orleans Safety - Jamize Olawale tackled in the end zone for a safety.
Raiders 20, Saints 25 4th - 7:20Aug 16 10:57 PM
- Oakland Field Goal - 50-yarder by Sebastian Janikowski.
Raiders 20, Saints 23 4th - 12:29Aug 16 10:42 PM
- OAKLAND: 17
NEW ORLEANS: 23
End of 3rd
Aug 16 10:35 PM
- Oakland Field Goal - 46-yarder by Eddy Carmona.
Raiders 17, Saints 23 3rd - 0:14Aug 16 10:29 PM
- Oakland Touchdown - 1-yard fumble return by Ryan Robinson. (Eddy Carmona kic
Raiders 14, Saints 23 3rd - 3:49Aug 16 10:20 PM
- OAKLAND: 7
NEW ORLEANS: 23
Aug 16 9:38 PM
- Oakland Touchdown - 18-yard pass from Matt Flynn to Denarius Moore. (Sebasti
Raiders 7, Saints 23 2nd - 0:31Aug 16 9:36 PM
- New Orleans Field Goal - 30-yarder by Garrett Hartley.
Raiders 0, Saints 23 2nd - 3:03Aug 16 9:20 PM
- New Orleans Field Goal - 31-yarder by Garrett Hartley.
Raiders 0, Saints 20 2nd - 10:19Aug 16 9:03 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
NEW ORLEANS: 17
End of 1st
Aug 16 8:49 PM
- New Orleans Touchdown - 16-yard pass from Drew Brees to Kenny Stills. (Garre
Raiders 0, Saints 17 1st - 0:14Aug 16 8:49 PM
- New Orleans Touchdown - 2-yard run by Mark Ingram. (Garrett Hartley kick).
Raiders 0, Saints 10 1st - 7:26Aug 16 8:34 PM
- New Orleans Field Goal - 53-yarder by Garrett Hartley.
Raiders 0, Saints 3 1st - 9:48Aug 16 8:19 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 16 8:08 PM
- Saints add veteran receiver Brown, kicker Barth May 23
- Saints owner Tom Benson discusses why he disinherits kin May 20
- Hearing set for suspect in killing of former Saints star May 20
- The Latest: Brief hearing reveals little in Will Smith case May 20
- Saints sign 4th-round pick Onyemata to 4-year contract May 18
- Broncos still playing the Rodney Dangerfield card May 18
- Saints add cornerback Pruitt, cut kicker Scobee May 17
- Saints sign 3 tryout players from last week's rookie camp May 16
- Saints coaches: Top pick Rankins in good shape, learns fast May 14
- Raiders 1st-round pick Karl Joseph not ready for practice May 13
- Raiders sign undrafted free agent Greg Townsend Jr. May 11
- Raiders sign 5th-round pick DeAndre Washington May 10