Colts shut down Giants in preseason winAug 19, 2013 - 2:38 AM East Rutherford, NJ (Sports Network) - Andrew Luck tossed a pair of touchdown passes and the Indianapolis Colts' defense didn't allow one for the game in defeating the New York Giants, 20-12, on Sunday at Metlife Stadium.
Luck played four series, leading the Colts to scores on each of his last three. He ended 9-of-13 for 107 yards, with Reggie Wayne and T.Y. Hilton each hauling in a touchdown in the Colts' first win of the preseason.
Giants starting wide receiver Hakeem Nicks made his preseason debut following an injury plagued 2012 season. He made a pair of 20-yard catches, both of which leading to field goals from Josh Brown, who accounted for all of New York's points in going a perfect 4-for-4 on kicks for the night.
Eli Manning played into the second quarter and ended 8-of-17 for 91 yards with an interception on the night. New York also saw some key offensive starters leave with injuries in the first quarter, with wide receiver Victor Cruz bruising his heel and center David Baas straining his left knee. Neither player returned after exiting.
An unbelievable catch from Wayne on the Colts' second possession gave them a 7-3 lead. Luck short armed a throw toward the receiver near the goal line and Giants cornerback Aaron Ross should have picked it off, but he bobbled the football and Wayne deflected it to himself in the end zone for the score.
Greg Toler's interception of Manning led to an Adam Vinatieri 52-yard field goal. After quickly getting the ball back, the Colts grabbed a 17-3 lead early in the second quarter when Luck fired an 18-yard strike to Hilton for a score.
Manning's final drive culminated in a 15-play series that ended on Brown's 27- yard boot to make it 17-6. Brown then kicked a 45-yarder through before halftime, set up by Jayron Hosley's 37-yard interception return of Matt Hasselbeck, to make it a one-score game.
However, the offenses for both teams cooled in the second half. Brandon McManus kicked a 50-yard field with 5:45 left in the third for Indianapolis and Brown converted his last kick of the night on a 47-yard try with 8:43 remaining in regulation.
- INDIANAPOLIS: 20
NEW YORK: 12
Aug 18 10:07 PM
- NY Giants Field Goal - 47-yarder by Josh Brown.
Colts 20, Giants 12 4th - 8:43Aug 18 9:41 PM
- INDIANAPOLIS: 20
NEW YORK: 9
End of 3rd
Aug 18 9:23 PM
- Indianapolis Field Goal - 50-yarder by Brandon McManus.
Colts 20, Giants 9 3rd - 5:45Aug 18 9:07 PM
- INDIANAPOLIS: 17
NEW YORK: 9
Aug 18 8:35 PM
- NY Giants Field Goal - 27-yarder by Josh Brown.
Colts 17, Giants 6 2nd - 4:06Aug 18 8:19 PM
- Indianapolis Touchdown - 18-yard pass from Andrew Luck to T.Y. Hilton. (Adam
Colts 17, Giants 3 2nd - 9:41Aug 18 8:04 PM
- INDIANAPOLIS: 10
NEW YORK: 3
End of 1st
Aug 18 7:48 PM
- Indianapolis Touchdown - 28-yard pass from Andrew Luck to Reggie Wayne. (Ada
Colts 7, Giants 3 1st - 2:48Aug 18 7:44 PM
- NY Giants Field Goal - 25-yarder by Josh Brown.
Colts 0, Giants 3 1st - 6:40Aug 18 7:29 PM
- INDIANAPOLIS: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 18 7:11 PM
- Jaguars' Fowler returns, ready for bigger role after injury May 23
- Giants defensive tackle Damon Harrison buys mom a house May 23
- Mom of Giants' Apple to join ESPN's 'Sunday NFL Countdown' May 23
- Ex-NFL player chosen to be next Pittsburgh schools head May 19
- Jaguars sign veteran Linkenbach, release Oberkrom May 17
- Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski makes Madden cover May 12
- Jaguars sign former 1st-round draft pick Bjoern Werner May 11
- Giants waive linebacker Uani Unga, sign cornerback Smalley May 11
- Raiders sign free-agent DE Damontre Moore May 10
- Jets claim Cunningham off waivers; cut Archer, Robinson May 9
- New York Giants sign 4 players who had tryout last week May 9
- Colts give former college star Golson chance to shine May 8