Broncos slip by RamsAug 25, 2013 - 3:58 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Demaryius Thomas caught a six-yard touchdown from Peyton Manning after an impressive 80-yard drive to help the Denver Broncos hold on in a 27-26 preseason win over the St.Louis Rams.
St.Louis' Kellen Clemens threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to Zach Potter with 1:56 to go in the fourth, but the Rams failed on a two-point conversion that would have given them the lead. St.Louis was also unsuccessful on the ensuing onside kick.
Manning played the entire first half, with the veteran quarterback completing 25-of-34 passes for 234 yards and an interception.
Montee Ball led the Broncos' ground attack with 43 yards on 14 carries and a touchdown.
St. Louis' Sam Bradford finished 9-of-16 for 110 yards and a touchdown.
The Rams opened the scoring when Tavon Austin took a Denver punt 81 yards before Bradford threw a three-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jared Cook to put the Rams up 7-0.
The Broncos answered back after starting at their own 20-yard line, with Thomas catching a six-yard touchdown to tie the game.
Matt Prater had a 34-yard field goal attempt blocked to end the first quarter.
After two completions from Bradford, Greg Zuerlein capped off a 59-yard drive with a 35-yard field goal to put the Rams back up 10-7.
Alec Ogletree scooped up a Ronnie Hillman fumble and returned it 13 yards for a touchdown that extended the Rams' lead by 10.
Prater converted a field goal from 31 yards out to make it 17-10.
On Denver's next possession, Manning threw a pass through the middle, but was picked off by Ogletree. After Bradford was sacked, the Rams moved the ball 25 yards to set up a 58-yard field goal from Zuerlein on the final play of the first half.
Brock Osweiler took over at quarterback for Denver in the second half and led a 79-yard drive that was capped off by Ball powering his way through a few defenders to bring the Broncos back within three with less than five minutes to go in the third.
Denver tied the game at 20 with 8:51 left on a 54-yard field goal from Prater.
After St. Louis quarterback Tim Jenkins was sacked, Denver's special teams unit came through with a blocked punt to set up the offense at St.Louis' 14.
Lance Ball ran the ball nine yards before fumbling into the end zone on the next play. The play was ruled down at the one-yard line, but a Denver challenge reversed the call and gave them a 27-20 lead with less than four minutes to go.
Wes Welker (ankle) did not play for the Broncos.
- ST. LOUIS: 26
Aug 24 11:19 PM
- St. Louis Touchdown - 1-yard pass from Kellen Clemens to Zach Potter. (Pass
Rams 26, Broncos 27 4th - 1:56Aug 24 11:12 PM
- Denver Touchdown - 5-yard run by Lance Ball. (Matt Prater kick).
Rams 20, Broncos 27 4th - 3:43Aug 24 10:59 PM
- Denver Field Goal - 54-yarder by Matt Prater.
Rams 20, Broncos 20 4th - 8:46Aug 24 10:41 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 20
End of 3rd
Aug 24 10:28 PM
- Denver Touchdown - 1-yard run by Montee Ball. (Matt Prater kick).
Rams 20, Broncos 17 3rd - 4:57Aug 24 10:11 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 20
Aug 24 9:36 PM
- Denver Field Goal - 31-yarder by Matt Prater.
Rams 17, Broncos 10 2nd - 5:01Aug 24 9:13 PM
- St. Louis Touchdown - 13-yard fumble return by Alec Ogletree. (Greg Zuerlein
Rams 17, Broncos 7 2nd - 9:20Aug 24 9:03 PM
- St. Louis Field Goal - 35-yarder by Greg Zuerlein.
Rams 10, Broncos 7 2nd - 9:53Aug 24 8:56 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 7
End of 1st
Aug 24 8:42 PM
- Denver Touchdown - 6-yard pass from Peyton Manning to Demaryius Thomas (Matt
Rams 7, Broncos 7 1st - 7:21Aug 24 8:26 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 7
1st Quarter - 12:15
Rams 7, Broncos 0 1st - 12:15Aug 24 8:16 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 24 8:07 PM
- Broncos still playing the Rodney Dangerfield card May 18
- Broncos elect Elam, Fletcher, Lynch to Ring of Fame May 17
- Sam Bradford has no regrets, ready to move on with Eagles May 17
- Monday's Sports in Brief May 17
- Heuerman eager to get on the field after sitting out '15 May 16
- Mark Sanchez undergoes thumb surgery on non-throwing hand May 16
- Broncos add linebacker Dekoda Watson May 16
- Panthers hope Bradberry, other young CBs can replace Norman May 13
- Kyle Kragen follows in his father's cleats with Broncos May 13
- Roy Green to be inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor May 11
- Broncos linebacker Shane Ray bulks up for 2nd season May 11
- Rams safety T.J. McDonald arrested in LA on suspicion of DUI May 11