Jets take down EaglesAug 30, 2013 - 2:54 AM East Rutherford, NJ (Sports Network) - Kahlil Bell ran 21 times for 80 yards and two touchdowns and the New York Jets defeated the Philadelphia Eagles, 27-20, in the two teams' final preseason game.
Matt Simms went 33-of-44 for 285 yards but also fumbled twice for the Jets, who went 3-1 in the preseason and will open their regular season slate at home against the Buccaneers next Sunday. Michael Campbell led the game in receiving with five receptions for 90 yards.
Matthew Tucker had eight carries for 31 yards and two touchdowns for the Eagles, who finished 2-2 in the preseason and will start on the road against the Redskins in an NFC East matchup on Sept. 9.
Nick Foles was the starting quarterback, but performed poorly, completing just 6-of-17 passes for 63 yards. Matt Barkley also struggled, going 13-for-27 for 134 yards and an interception.
Immediately, the Jets felt pressure from the Eagles defense. Simms' first pass was nearly intercepted. Two snaps later, Simms was sacked by Brandon Graham in his own end zone for a safety.
However, they quickly turned things around. On the Eagles' ensuing drive, Nick Foles was sacked by Ricky Sapp and fumbled. Antonio Garay recovered it at the Eagles' 29-yard line.
The Jets capitalized on the excellent field position and Bell dodged his way from eight yards out for a touchdown. Dan Carpenter followed with a 45-yard field goal on their next drive.
Late in the second quarter, Philadelphia finally got some offense in when Alex Henery booted a 38-yard field goal.
Though the Eagles totaled just 97 yards in the first half, their pass rush did an excellent job, sacking Simms seven times.
On the Jets' opening drive of the second half, Nick Folk drilled a 28-yard field goal to give them a 13-5 lead.
However, the Eagles were able to tie the game on the following possession. A 16-play, 80-yard drive ended when Tucker rushed for a 3-yard score. He then pounded through the middle for the two-point conversion.
New York would retake the lead on the next drive. A 19-play, 70-yard drive that took more than 10 minutes finished with a two-yard TD run by Bell.
With just over two minutes remaining in regulation, Barkley threw a short pass to his right but was picked off by Antonio Allen, who returned it 20 yards for the touchdown.
On the Eagles' final drive, they punted from their own 35-yard line. However, New York returner Zach Rogers muffed the catch at the Jets' own 16-yard line and Russell Shepard recovered it, giving Philadelphia a new set of downs. Tucker got his second touchdown of the night on a 1-yard run to account for the final margin.
- PHILADELPHIA: 20
NEW YORK: 27
Aug 29 10:07 PM
- Philadelphia Touchdown - 1-yard run by Matthew Tucker. (Alex Henery kick).
Eagles 20, Jets 27 4th - 0:36Aug 29 10:05 PM
- NY Jets Touchdown - 20-yard interception return by Antonio Allen. (Dan Carpe
Eagles 13, Jets 27 4th - 1:57Aug 29 9:56 PM
- NY Jets Touchdown - 2-yard run by Khalil Bell. (Nick Folk kick).
Eagles 13, Jets 20 4th - 11:16Aug 29 9:29 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 13
NEW YORK: 13
End of 3rd
Aug 29 9:20 PM
- Philadelphia Touchdown - 3-yard run by Matthew Tucker. (Matthew Tucker run).
Eagles 13, Jets 13 3rd - 6:35Aug 29 9:07 PM
- NY Jets Field Goal - 28-yarder by Nick Folk.
Eagles 5, Jets 13 3rd - 11:23Aug 29 8:55 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 5
NEW YORK: 10
Aug 29 8:32 PM
- Philadelphia Field Goal - 38-yarder by Alex Henery.
Eagles 5, Jets 10 2nd - 2:34Aug 29 8:18 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
NEW YORK: 10
End of 1st
Aug 29 7:48 PM
- NY Jets Field Goal - 45-yarder by Dan Carpenter.
Eagles 2, Jets 10 1st - 4:01Aug 29 7:35 PM
- NY Jets Touchdown - 8-yard run by Khalil Bell. (Dan Carpenter kick).
Eagles 2, Jets 7 1st - 10:35Aug 29 7:19 PM
- Philadelphia Safety - Matt Simms sacked by Brandon Graham in end zone.
Eagles 2, Jets 0 1st - 13:39Aug 29 7:12 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 29 7:07 PM
- Giants defensive tackle Damon Harrison buys mom a house May 23
- Fitzpatrick wants reunion with Jets, has no plans to retire May 23
- Jets' Darrelle Revis fires longtime agents May 19
- Former NFL player Tim Tebow writing book on 'life's storms' May 18
- Broncos still playing the Rodney Dangerfield card May 18
- Sam Bradford has no regrets, ready to move on with Eagles May 17
- Jets sign third-rounder Jordan Jenkins to 4-year deal May 13
- Carson Wentz kicks off his NFL career at rookie camp May 13
- Veteran departures pave way for duo in Bears rookie camp May 13
- Panthers hope Bradberry, other young CBs can replace Norman May 13
- QB Carson Wentz signs four-year contract with the Eagles May 12
- Jets sign draft picks Christian Hackenberg, Charone Peake May 12