Stapleton scores in OT, Thrashers beat HurricanesMar 10, 2011 - 6:50 AM
Ondrej Pavelec had just made a nice stop on a Jussi Jokinen wrister and Atlanta skated back the other way on a 2-on-1. Ron Hainsey skated into the Carolina end down the left wing and fired a pass to the front where Stapleton redirected it in for the win.
Rob Schremp and Tobias Enstrom also scored for the Thrashers, who have won their past two games. Pavelec made 35 stops in the win.
Troy Bodie and Erik Cole scored for the Hurricanes, who have dropped their past two games. Cam Ward made 26 saves in defeat.
"It wasn't an awful game that we played out there tonight," said Cole. "We just have to clean some things up and be sharper in a few areas."
Atlanta scored just 3:22 in on the power play. Ward had just made a nice stop on an Evander Kane shot, but the puck wound up back in the slot and Schremp snapped it home for his 11th goal of the season.
Just over 10 minutes later, the Thrashers took a 2-0 lead when Nik Antropov sent a backhand pass from the low left circle to the slot where Enstrom fired it home.
Carolina made it a one-goal game at the 11:55 mark of the second as a left point shot by Troy Bodie hit a body in front and Bodie was there to clean up the garbage for his first goal of the season.
The Hurricanes tied the game with 7:39 to play in regulation as a lead pass was taken by Cole, who skated into the Atlanta end on a breakaway and got Pavelec to open the pads before wristing it home.
Atlanta hosts New Jersey on Friday...Carolina had won the previous four meetings this season. These teams will meet one more time in Atlanta on April 8...Carolina plays at Washington on Friday...Atlanta went 1-for-2 on the power play and Carolina was 0-for-3.
- ATLANTA: 3
Final - OT
Mar 9 9:28 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Tim Stapleton (2), from Ron Hainsey at 1:38.
Thrashers 3, Hurricanes 2 OT - 3:22Mar 9 9:28 PM
- ATLANTA: 2
End of Regulation
Mar 9 9:23 PM
- Carolina Goal - Erik Cole (19), from Cory Stillman at 12:21.
Thrashers 2, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 7:39Mar 9 9:11 PM
- ATLANTA: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 9 8:32 PM
- Carolina Goal - Troy Bodie, from Jerome Samson at 11:55.
Thrashers 2, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 8:05Mar 9 8:16 PM
- ATLANTA: 2
End of 1st
Mar 9 7:42 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Tobias Enstrom (9), from Nik Antropov and Zach Bogosian at 13:27.
Thrashers 2, Hurricanes 0 1st - 6:33Mar 9 7:31 PM
- Blake Wheeler shot hit the goalpost.
Thrashers 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 16:45Mar 9 7:13 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 9 7:08 PM
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9
- Hurricanes-Panthers Preview Apr 8
- NHL Capsules Apr 8
- Lindgren shines in debut, leads Canadiens past Hurricanes Apr 7
- Canadiens-Hurricanes Preview Apr 6
- NHL Capsules Apr 6
- Hurricanes beats Bruins 2-1 in SO to hurt B's playoff hopes Apr 5
- Hurricanes-Bruins Preview Apr 4