Old Jets keep new Jets winlessOct 16, 2011 - 5:37 AM
The Coyotes first entered the NHL as the original Jets in 1979 and remained in Winnipeg until relocating to Phoenix prior to the 1996-97 season.
Ray Whitney tallied a goal and an assist, and Mike Smith stopped 18-of-19 shots for the win.
"There was a lot made out of things going into this game," said Phoenix head coach Dave Tippett. "But when the puck dropped the guys went out and played a great game. We scored on the first shift and never looked back."
Andrew Ladd scored the lone goal for the Jets, while Chris Mason allowed four goals on 35 shots in a losing effort.
Phoenix jumped out to a quick lead just 34 seconds into the game when Winnipeg defenseman Dustin Byfuglien whiffed on an attempt to clear the puck from behind his own net. Whitney took the puck and passed it out front to Daymond Langkow, who wristed it into the high-right corner of the net.
Ekman-Larsson made it a 2-0 game at the 9:12 mark of the opening period when the puck squirted out of a scrum in front of the net and right to Ekman- Larsson at the left circle. He sent a wrister from the hard angle that found its way into the back of the net.
Ekman-Larsson tallied his second goal late in the second period when he trailed a rush and took a one-timer from the left point on a pass from Boyd Gordon in the left circle that skipped past Mason.
Winnipeg got on the board with 19 seconds left in the second when Tobias Enstrom took a shot from the left point that Ladd deflected past Smith's stick side.
Whitney put the game away at the 6:43 mark of the third period. While on a power play, Shane Doan's shot from the right point went behind the net. Martin Hanzal collected the errant shot and passed it to the front of the net, where Whitney backhanded it into the twine.
Winnipeg went 0-for-4 on the power play...Phoenix went 1-for-5 on the power play...Doan had two assists.
- WINNIPEG: 1
Oct 15 9:41 PM
- Shane Doan shot blocked by Blake Wheeler.
Jets 1, Coyotes 4 3rd - 13:19Oct 15 9:12 PM
- WINNIPEG: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 15 8:43 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Andrew Ladd, from Tobias Enstrom and Blake Wheeler at 19:41.
Jets 1, Coyotes 3 2nd - 0:19Oct 15 8:42 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Oliver Ekman-Larsson (3), from Boyd Gordon and Taylor Pyatt at 14:57.
Jets 0, Coyotes 3 2nd - 5:03Oct 15 8:34 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
End of 1st
Oct 15 7:49 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Oliver Ekman-Larsson (2), at 9:12.
Jets 0, Coyotes 2 1st - 10:48Oct 15 7:30 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Ray Whitney, at :34.
Jets 0, Coyotes 1 1st - 19:26Oct 15 7:17 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 15 7:16 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Hockey sticks no longer one size fits all Apr 21
- Phoenix mayor wants shared arena for Suns, Coyotes Apr 19
- Coyotes to buy Springfield Falcons, move AHL club to Tucson Apr 19
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Arizona Coyotes fire GM Don Maloney Apr 11
- Winnipeg Jets rally from 3 goals down to stun LA Kings 4-3 Apr 10