Lundqvist, Rangers blank Canucks to end drought in VancouverOct 19, 2011 - 6:03 AM
The Rangers had dropped their previous five trips to Vancouver since October 11, 1997, when Wayne Gretzky recorded his 50th career hat trick in a 6-3 win.
Lundqvist made 40 saves, while Mike Rupp, Ryan McDonagh, Brian Boyle and Marian Gaborik all scored to give New York its first win of the season following a 0-1-2 start.
Roberto Luongo was beaten four times on just 19 shots as the Canucks lost for the fourth time in six games.
Lundqvist was exceptional throughout, making 13 saves in the first period, 15 in the second and 12 in the final 20 minutes.
"I think he's the best goalie in the league and he shows it every night," Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi said of Lundqvist.
New York's special teams also withstood nine Vancouver power-play chances.
"We need to convert on one of those power plays to turn the tables," Canucks forward Chris Higgins said.
The Rangers had just nine shots combined in the first two periods, but snapped the scoreless tie 2:22 into the third.
Rupp sent a drop pass to Michael Del Zotto, whose one-timer from the point was stopped by Luongo. The rebound, however, went directly to Rupp, and the forward snuck the rebound in for a 1-0 lead.
A give-and-go between Brandon Dubkinsky and McDonagh ended with the latter lighting the lamp at 9:57, and Boyle re-directed Ruslan Fedotenko's cross-ice pass into the back of the net 11:30 in.
Gaborik's tally with 2:21 remaining accounted for the final score.
Before the game, the Canucks played a video tribute for the late Rick Rypien, who committed suicide in the offseason after struggling with depression...New York went 0-for-3 on the power play and is now 0-for-15 with the man advantage this season...Canucks forward and reigning Selke Trophy winner Ryan Kesler was in the lineup for the first time after missing the first five games while recovering from offseason hip surgery. He saw 19:07 of ice time and had three shots on goal.
- NEW YORK: 4
Oct 19 12:41 AM
- NY Rangers Short-Handed Goal - Marian Gaborik (3), from Ryan McDonagh at 17:39.
Rangers 4, Canucks 0 3rd - 2:21Oct 19 12:38 AM
- Chris Higgins shot blocked by Steve Eminger.
Rangers 3, Canucks 0 3rd - 8:15Oct 19 12:25 AM
- NY Rangers Goal - Ryan McDonagh, at 9:57.
Rangers 2, Canucks 0 3rd - 10:03Oct 19 12:18 AM
- NY Rangers Goal - Mike Rupp, at 2:22.
Rangers 1, Canucks 0 3rd - 17:38Oct 19 12:05 AM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 2nd
Oct 18 11:45 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Oct 18 10:52 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 18 10:17 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Apr 24
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 23
- Penguins close out Rangers 5 games with 6-3 rout Apr 23