Staal scores twice as Pens down DevilsOct 23, 2011 - 4:55 AM
Richard Park had two assists while Chris Kunitz and James Neal each had a goal for the Penguins, who have won their past three games.
"I'll take a night like this anytime," said Staal, whose second goal of the game was the 100th of his career. "It's nice to win the game when you reach a milestone like that."
Patrik Elias scored a shorthanded goal for the Devils, who have dropped two straight after winning their previous three. Johan Hedberg gave up all four goals on 29 shots.
A high sticking call to David Clarkson 5:31 into the first led to a Pittsburgh power play and Staal got the goal as he one-timed a short pass from Park at the left circle into the right corner of the net.
The score stayed that way until the third period when Petr Sykora was issued a double minor for high sticking.
It was Elias' stick that hit the Penguin in the face, but Sykora was sent to the box and the Devils were able to take advantage of the miscue from the referees.
"It was unrespectable to the referee for me but I was trying to help my team," said Sykora. "I didn't want Patty (Elias) going to the penalty box because he's on our first PK unit."
Skating into the Pittsburgh end down the left side, Ilya Kovalchuk sent a backhand pass from the left circle on the fly that was slowed down by a defender, but got through and Elias one-timed it home at the 1:47 mark to tie the game.
However, the game was tied for just 80 seconds as Pittsburgh scored on the second minor when a pass from the high slot by Kris Letang went over to the right circle where Kunitz one-timed it home.
Just 1:10 later, Staal notched his second goal of the game when he got the puck in the slot, cut over to the right side to get past Kovalchuk and lifted a backhander into the net for a 3-1 lead.
Five minutes later it was a 4-1 game when Neal dug the puck out of a scrum along the right boards and turned around before throwing a quick shot on net that fooled Hedberg.
Pittsburgh center Evgeni Malkin sat out a fifth straight game with soreness in his surgically repaired right knee...Pittsburgh starts a home-and-home set with the Islanders in New York on Tuesday...New Jersey continues its four-game road trip in Los Angeles on Tuesday...Pittsburgh took four of six from New Jersey last season.
- NEW JERSEY: 1
Oct 22 9:30 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - James Neal, at 9:14.
Devils 1, Penguins 4 3rd - 10:46Oct 22 9:05 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Jordan Staal (5), at 4:17.
Devils 1, Penguins 3 3rd - 15:43Oct 22 8:58 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Chris Kunitz (2), at 3:07.
Devils 1, Penguins 2 3rd - 16:53Oct 22 8:55 PM
- New Jersey Short-Handed Goal - Patrik Elias (3), from Ilya Kovalchuk at 1:47.
Devils 1, Penguins 1 3rd - 18:13Oct 22 8:53 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 2nd
Oct 22 8:32 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Oct 22 7:42 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Jordan Staal (4), at 6:07.
Devils 0, Penguins 1 1st - 13:53Oct 22 7:18 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 22 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19