Ferriero's game-winner sends Sharks past BruinsOct 23, 2011 - 6:46 AM
Boston's Milan Lucic and Tyler Seguin scored 29 seconds apart early in the third to even things, 2-2, but Ferriero's tally a little later and Patrick Marleau's empty-netter in the final seconds gave the Sharks back-to-back wins following a three-game slide.
Joe Pavelski and Logan Couture also scored in the victory, which was credited to Antti Niemi following a 37-save performance.
Tim Thomas made 26 saves in defeat, the Bruins' fourth in six games.
Boston halved its deficit 2:43 into the third when Niemi misplayed the puck behind the net and Lucic fought off several defenders for a stuff-in.
On the very next shift, a San Jose turnover resulted in a two-man breakaway, and Lucic made Niemi commit before feeding Seguin on the right side for an easy tap-in at 3:12.
San Jose responded, though, as Thomas was unable to secure a rebound on a Jamie McGinn point shot and Ferriero was there to put in the rebound.
The Bruins brought in the extra attacker with a minute remaining, but Marleau's tally with five seconds left ended any chance of a comeback.
Joe Thornton, a former Bruin, created a turnover in the neutral zone a little over a minute into the game and dished to a streaking Pavelski at the blue line. Pavelski brought the puck into the zone and let a wrister fly from between the circles that hit off the post and in.
"We got off to a bad start, but the rest of the game I thought we played well," Bruins head coach Claude Julien said.
Nine minutes into the second, Martin Havlat fished the puck amidst a slew of skates behind the Boston net and backhanded a pass out front for Couture, who beat Thomas up high with a flick of the wrists.
The Sharks have not lost in Boston since the 2002-03 campaign -- a span of five games...Chris Kelly had two assists for Boston.
- SAN JOSE: 4
Oct 22 9:33 PM
- Tyler Seguin wrist shot on Antti Niemi.
Sharks 3, Bruins 2 3rd - 9:29Oct 22 9:14 PM
- Boston Goal - Tyler Seguin (3), from Milan Lucic at 3:12.
Sharks 2, Bruins 2 3rd - 16:48Oct 22 9:01 PM
- Boston Goal - Milan Lucic (2), at 2:43.
Sharks 2, Bruins 1 3rd - 17:17Oct 22 8:59 PM
- SAN JOSE: 2
End of 2nd
Oct 22 8:36 PM
- San Jose Goal - Logan Couture, at 8:54.
Sharks 2, Bruins 0 2nd - 11:06Oct 22 8:15 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Oct 22 7:44 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (4), from Joe Thornton at 1:12.
Sharks 1, Bruins 0 1st - 18:48Oct 22 7:10 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 19:47
Oct 22 7:09 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18