Rangers finish off road trip with victory over JetsOct 25, 2011 - 4:41 AM
Ruslan Fedotenko had a goal and an assist while Dan Girardi added two assists for the Rangers, who went 3-2-2 on their seven-game road trip to open the season.
Martin Biron, making his first start of the season, stopped 27 shots for the win.
"He played very well after not playing in I don't know how long," said New York head coach John Tortorella about his goaltender. "And I really thought, for the most part, although one shift we couldn't grab the puck, they were just running all over us, I thought for the most part we defended well. We were certainly in there long enough tonight."
New York returns home to the renovated Madison Square Garden and kicks off a six-game homestand on Thursday against Toronto.
Nik Antropov had the lone goal for the Jets, who have dropped three of four. Chris Mason made 15 saves.
"We played a decent game, but when you look at games it becomes about the details and we have to get better at the details," said Winnipeg head coach Claude Noel. "I thought we could have won the game. I thought we generated a fair bit and ultimately the difference was one goal."
With the score tied in the third period, the Rangers went on the power play after Chris Thorburn was called for tripping at the 7:49 mark.
Callahan tried to slip a pass over to the left side from the right circle on the fly, but the disc took a fortuitous bounce off the skate of Winnipeg's Zach Bogosian and went in at the 8:41 mark.
Biron stopped 13 shots in the final period to help the Rangers close out their road trip on a high note.
A scoreless first period saw Biron make eight stops and Mason turn aside three, but the Rangers took a 1-0 lead on the power play as Girardi's slap- pass from the right point was redirected in the slot by Fedotenko and it slipped past Mason at the 5:51 mark.
The Jets, though, tied the game with 5:31 to play in the second as a quick shot from Antropov at the left circle snuck past Biron.
The Jets/Thrashers franchise won three of four last year from the Rangers...The Jets hit the road for a season-high seven-game road swing with a stop in Philly on Thursday to begin the trip...New York went 2-for-5 on the power play while the Jets were 0-for-1.
- NEW YORK: 2
Oct 24 10:57 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Ryan Callahan (2), at 8:41.
Rangers 2, Jets 1 3rd - 11:19Oct 24 10:37 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 24 10:07 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Nik Antropov (2), at 14:29.
Rangers 1, Jets 1 2nd - 5:31Oct 24 9:57 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Ruslan Fedotenko, at 5:51.
Rangers 1, Jets 0 2nd - 14:09Oct 24 9:38 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Oct 24 9:12 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 24 8:38 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Apr 24
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 23