Hurricanes double up LightningNov 2, 2011 - 3:48 AM
Cam Ward stopped 28-of-30 shots for Carolina, which had lost four of its previous five games coming in.
Teddy Purcell and Brett Connolly netted goals for the Lightning, who came in winners in four of their previous five contests.
Dwayne Roloson made 27 saves in the loss.
"Except for the third period we didn't earn anything out there tonight," said Tampa Bay head coach Guy Boucher. "They came prepared and we didn't."
Carolina defenseman Bryan Allen blocked away a slap shot from the high point by Marc-Andre Bergeron, but the puck caromed off Allen's stick right to Purcell, who snapped it into the empty net at the right of the crease to make it 1-0, 15:14 into the first period.
The Hurricanes tied it up with a LaRose power-play goal late in the opening period. The puck trickled through the legs of Roloson on a Jay Harrison slap shot from the high point and LaRose was there in the crease to poke it home and tie the score.
The Hurricanes, who controlled the first period by outshooting Tampa Bay 19- seven, were rewarded with two second-period goals by Skinner.
With Victor Hedman's stick in his chest, Skinner maneuvered his way into the slot from the left circle and flicked a wrister past Roloson just 22 seconds into the period.
Midway through the second, Jussi Jokinen found a wide open Skinner just right of the crease from the left circle as he jammed it into the empty net to make it 3-1.
The Lightning were unable to take advantage of a two-minute, 5-on-3 advantage in the second period as Ward made some big saves to keep Carolina ahead.
"The 5-on-3 was big," Skinner said. "You saw the energy pick up after that. There was some huge blocked shots."
Connolly cut the margin to 3-2 14:16 into the final period as he took a Martin St. Louis pass from behind the net and jammed it home on a wrap-around.
But the Hurricanes responded just 54 seconds later when LaRose wristed one home from the slot for his second goal of the night.
Skinner has six goals in eight career games against Tampa Bay...Bergeron's assist on the Purcell goal was his 11th of the season...The Lightning head home to take on Chicago on Friday, while the Hurricanes play game two of their three-game homestand against Washington on Friday.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Nov 1 9:32 PM
- Carolina Goal - Chad LaRose (3), from Jiri Tlusty at 15:10.
Lightning 2, Hurricanes 4 3rd - 4:50Nov 1 9:22 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Brett Connolly, from Martin St. Louis and Vincent Lecavalier at 14:16.
Lightning 2, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 5:44Nov 1 9:21 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 1 8:39 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner (6), at 10:38.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 3 2nd - 9:22Nov 1 8:19 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner (5), at :22.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 19:38Nov 1 8:01 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Nov 1 7:43 PM
- Carolina Goal - Chad LaRose, from Jay Harrison and Alexei Ponikarovsky at 18:21.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 1 1st - 1:39Nov 1 7:41 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (4), from Marc-Andre Bergeron and Ryan Malone at 15:14.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 4:46Nov 1 7:33 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 1 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17