Hurricanes snap a four-game skid with thrilling win over PensNov 13, 2011 - 6:04 AM
Carolina had blown a 3-0 lead in the third period, but Staal scored when he jammed home the rebound from the right side of the net off a Chad LaRose shot for a 4-3 advantage.
LaRose then sealed the win two minutes later when he skated in on a breakaway and snapped the puck into the left corner.
"We more or less handed the game back to them at the end. We have got to find a way to battle back but still do the right things throughout the whole game." Penguins forward Jordan Staal said.
Tuomo Ruutu scored twice while Jeff Skinner had a goal and two assists for the Hurricanes, who snapped a four-game slide. Cam Ward made 37 saves in the win.
"You have to forget the previous games and just take things one game at a time," said Ruutu. "When I play I just try to score goals and try to enjoy things out there."
Jordan Staal scored twice and Chris Kunitz had the other goal for the Penguins, who had won their previous two. Brent Johnson stopped 21 shots in the loss.
Carolina appeared to take a 4-0 lead less than a minute into the third when Eric Staal's puck crossed the goal line, but the play had been blown dead when the referee lost sight of the puck.
Pittsburgh took advantage of the break to tie the game and got the rally started moments later on Jordan Staal's first of the game.
A little over three minutes later, Staal made it a 3-2 game when he skated in on a breakaway and slipped a low backhander between the pads of Ward.
The Penguins then tied the game with 7:42 to play in regulation when Pascal Dupuis slipped a pass from the middle over to the outside right circle where Kunitz's one-timer beat Ward to complete the comeback.
The only goal of the first period came just 1:22 in when Skinner's backhander from the slot fooled Johnson.
Ruutu got his first of the game with 4:09 to play in the second when Skinner sent a pass from the right side to the slot and Ruutu one-timed it home.
With under one minute to play in the second, Carolina took a 3-0 lead as Ruutu grabbed a loose puck in the slot following a turnover from Pittsburgh and used the backhand for his sixth goal of the season.
Carolina hosts Philadelphia on Monday...Pittsburgh returns home to face Colorado on Tuesday...Pittsburgh took three of the four meetings with Carolina last season...Neither team scored on the power play with Carolina having four chances and Pittsburgh five.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
Nov 12 9:42 PM
- Carolina Goal - Chad LaRose (5), from Eric Staal and Jay Harrison at 17:30.
Penguins 3, Hurricanes 5 3rd - 2:30Nov 12 9:34 PM
- Patrick Dwyer slap shot on Brent Johnson.
Penguins 3, Hurricanes 4 3rd - 4:02Nov 12 9:31 PM
- Eric Staal shot on Brent Johnson.
Penguins 3, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 4:34Nov 12 9:29 PM
- Carolina Goal - Eric Staal (4), at 15:26.
Penguins 3, Hurricanes 4 3rd - 4:34Nov 12 9:29 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Chris Kunitz, at 12:18.
Penguins 3, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 7:42Nov 12 9:23 PM
- Pittsburgh Short-Handed Goal - Jordan Staal (8), at 4:43.
Penguins 2, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 15:17Nov 12 9:09 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 1
3rd Period - 17:41
Penguins 1, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 17:41Nov 12 9:06 PM
- Evgeni Malkin backhand shot on Cam Ward.
Penguins 0, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 18:26Nov 12 9:04 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Jordan Staal (7), at 1:40.
Penguins 1, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 18:20Nov 12 9:04 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
End of 2nd
Nov 12 8:44 PM
- Carolina Goal - Tuomo Ruutu (6), from Jeff Skinner at 19:03.
Penguins 0, Hurricanes 3 2nd - 0:57Nov 12 8:42 PM
- Carolina Goal - Tuomo Ruutu (5), from Jeff Skinner and Jussi Jokinen at 15:51.
Penguins 0, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 4:09Nov 12 8:38 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
End of 1st
Nov 12 7:51 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner (7), at 1:22.
Penguins 0, Hurricanes 1 1st - 18:38Nov 12 7:12 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 12 7:09 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17