Jets top LightningNov 15, 2011 - 6:30 AM
The win snapped a 12-game losing streak that Winnipeg had suffered at the hands of Tampa Bay, winning for the first time since October 3, 2009 when the franchise was located in Atlanta.
Andrew Ladd and Mark Flood each scored for the Jets, who snapped a five-game slide. Ondrej Pavelec stopped 30 shots for the win.
"Probably one of our better team games that I have seen us play. We were excellent from the goalie on out," Jets head coach Claude Noel said.
Steven Stamkos had a goal and an assist while Martin St. Louis also scored for the Lightning, who have dropped their past two. Dwayne Roloson was pulled in the second period after giving up four goals on 22 shots while Mathieu Garon stopped 16-of-17 in relief.
Winnipeg scored just 4:51 into the game when Kane's snap shot from the slot found the back of the net.
A turnover in the Tampa end saw Kane get the puck and send it to the right point for Byfuglien, who let loose with a cannon shot that beat Roloson cleanly with 6:58 to play in the first.
It was 3-0 just under eight minutes into the second. With Winnipeg on the power play, Flood unleashed a slap shot from the high slot that made its way through traffic in front for his third goal of the year.
St. Louis got Tampa on the board less than three minutes later as his wrister from the low right circle snuck into the net.
Ladd, though, got the goal back a little over a minute later when he tipped in a Johnny Oduya shot from the right side.
Stapleton's second goal of the year halfway through the third gave Winnipeg a 5-1 lead while Stamkos scored moments later to account for the final score.
"Once we were down a couple we started making some plays and with some urgency," Stamkos said.
Winnipeg hosts Washington on Thursday...Tampa hosts Pittsburgh on Thursday...Winnipeg was 1-for-1 on the power play while Tampa was 0-for-6.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Nov 14 11:07 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (11), at 10:26.
Lightning 2, Jets 5 3rd - 9:34Nov 14 10:47 PM
- Mark Stuart slap shot is wide.
Lightning 1, Jets 5 3rd - 9:46Nov 14 10:47 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Brett Connolly (4), at 10:04.
Lightning 2, Jets 4 3rd - 9:56Nov 14 10:46 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 14 10:14 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
2nd Period - 7:46
Lightning 1, Jets 4 2nd - 7:46Nov 14 9:59 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (4), at 10:47.
Lightning 1, Jets 3 2nd - 9:13Nov 14 9:55 PM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal - Mark Flood (3), at 7:49.
Lightning 0, Jets 3 2nd - 12:11Nov 14 9:50 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Nov 14 9:18 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Dustin Byfuglien (3), at 13:02.
Lightning 0, Jets 2 1st - 6:58Nov 14 9:04 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Evander Kane (6), at 4:51.
Lightning 0, Jets 1 1st - 15:09Nov 14 8:45 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 14 8:38 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17