Weiss nets winner as Panthers edge PenguinsNov 20, 2011 - 4:55 AM
Weiss finished the game with a goal and two assists while Tomas Fleischmann had a goal and an assist for the Panthers, who have won two of three. Jose Theodore stopped 39 shots for the win.
"He's the guy that runs the engine for us right now," said Florida head coach Kevin Dineen about Weiss. "He had three points for us and is putting up good minutes against big, strong guys. He's our man right now."
Jordan Staal and Chris Kunitz had the goals for the Penguins, who have dropped three of four. Brent Johnson made 28 stops in the loss.
"We didn't do a lot of good things tonight and we weren't sharp mentally," said Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma. "We made some mental mistakes tonight and those are always costly."
Pittsburgh was called for a too many men on the ice infraction late in the third and the Panthers took advantage when a shot on net from the low side saw several players converge in front, with Weiss eventually jamming it home.
From there, Theodore stopped all the shots he faced to cap his 17-save third period to give the Panthers the win.
The Penguins scored just 1:09 in when Pascal Dupuis flew into the Florida zone down the right side and fed a pass to the front where a skating Kunitz redirected it in.
The Panthers scored at the 7:28 mark of the first when Kris Versteeg hit a trailing Campbell in the slot and the blueliner slid the puck to the backhand before putting it in.
Skating on the man advantage in the second, the Panthers made it a 2-1 game as Fleischmann's wrister from the slot made it through a screen and into the back of the net.
Pittsburgh, though, tied the game seven minutes later when Staal picked up the rebound of a Dupuis shot and slid over to the right circle before wristing it home.
Pittsburgh hosts the Islanders on Monday...Florida welcomes New Jersey on Monday...Pittsburgh had won five straight against Florida, including a 4-2 decision on October 11 in Pittsburgh...Florida went 2-for-4 on the power play while Pittsburgh was 0-for-2.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
Nov 19 10:05 PM
- Kris Versteeg wrist shot on Brent Johnson.
Penguins 2, Panthers 3 3rd - 3:32Nov 19 9:55 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 19 9:06 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Jordan Staal, at 12:38.
Penguins 2, Panthers 2 2nd - 7:22Nov 19 8:53 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Tomas Fleischmann (8), at 5:48.
Penguins 1, Panthers 2 2nd - 14:12Nov 19 8:39 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 1
End of 1st
Nov 19 8:14 PM
- Florida Goal - Brian Campbell (2), at 7:28.
Penguins 1, Panthers 1 1st - 12:32Nov 19 7:49 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Chris Kunitz (7), at 1:09.
Penguins 1, Panthers 0 1st - 18:51Nov 19 7:41 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 19 7:39 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17