Giroux scores twice as Flyers top CanadiensNov 25, 2011 - 11:57 PM Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Claude Giroux scored a pair of goals, helping the Philadelphia Flyers beat the Montreal Canadiens, 3-1.
Jakub Voracek had a goal and an assist for the Flyers, who have won two in a row since a two-game skid. Sergei Bobrovsky made 23 saves.
Petteri Nokelainen scored his first goal of the season for the Canadiens, who failed to build off Wednesday's 4-3 shootout win over Carolina.
Carey Price turned aside 33-of-36 shots in defeat.
"I think he is a tremendous player," Montreal head coach Jacques Martin said of Giroux. "I think he keeps getting better year after year. Now he has become a leader on this team."
Nokelainen scored his first goal in a Montreal uniform with 1:46 left in the first period when he gathered the puck in the slot and beat Bobrovsky with a wrister.
Giroux got the Flyers going at the 13:11 mark of the middle stanza. Off a right circle faceoff, the puck went over to the left side where Matt Carle dumped it behind the net. The disc caromed off the back boards and bounced to the right for Giroux, who banked it in off of Price.
With 2:15 left, Voracek rocketed a one-timer past Price from the left circle.
Giroux made it a 3-1 game with 5.9 seconds remaining. Braydon Coburn's shot from the right point set up a rebound. Giroux's one-timer from the left circle was too much for Price to handle.
"Yeah, he's a good goalie," Giroux said. "He's having a good season too. So, it was important for us to shoot as many pucks as we could. I'm not sure if three of them were on rebounds. So when you have a good, hot goalie you have to shoot from everywhere."
Montreal slammed Philly, 5-1, when the clubs met for the first time in 2011-12 at the Bell Centre on October 26...Canadiens defenseman Jaroslav Spacek (upper body) and forward Scott Gomez (lower body) missed the game...The Flyers were without forward Jaromir Jagr (groin) and defenseman Chris Pronger (illness)...Flyers defenseman Andreas Lilja suffered an ankle injury. He is expected to miss six weeks.
- MONTREAL: 1
Nov 25 5:27 PM
- MONTREAL: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 25 4:35 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Claude Giroux (13), from Braydon Coburn at 19:54.
Canadiens 1, Flyers 3 2nd - 0:06Nov 25 4:35 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Jakub Voracek (4), at 17:45.
Canadiens 1, Flyers 2 2nd - 2:15Nov 25 4:30 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Claude Giroux (12), at 13:11.
Canadiens 1, Flyers 1 2nd - 6:49Nov 25 4:22 PM
- MONTREAL: 1
End of 1st
Nov 25 3:41 PM
- Montreal Goal - Petteri Nokelainen, at 18:14.
Canadiens 1, Flyers 0 1st - 1:46Nov 25 3:38 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 25 3:08 PM
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23