Islanders nip SabresNov 30, 2011 - 3:08 AM
The Islanders have now won two straight away from home after picking up their first road win of the season at New Jersey on Saturday.
Al Montoya stopped 30 shots in the victory.
Jochen Hecht had a goal and Jhonas Enroth made 28 saves for the Sabres, losers of six of their last nine games.
"Our biggest default right now is not finishing opportunities," said Sabres coach Lindy Ruff.
Buffalo has been hampered by injury lately, primarily to goaltender Ryan Miller. The franchise netminder has missed eight consecutive games due to post-concussion symptoms and remains out indefinitely.
Enroth filled in admirably on Tuesday. He was screened on Moulson's long slap shot early in the first, which gave the Islanders a 1-0 lead.
Hecht tied the game 1:54 into the third. Thomas Vanek's pass deflected off the skate of Jason Pominville and Hecht gathered the loose puck in front of the net, catching Montoya by surprise for the easy tally.
The Islanders, though, reclaimed the lead midway through the period, as David Ullstrom worked through a scrum from behind the net and found Rolston in front. The right winger beat Enroth's five-hole for the game-winner.
"Bottom line is we have to dig deep for 60 minutes," said Pominville. "Once we get back into the game we can't give up the goal that we gave up."
This was the first of four meetings between the clubs this season. The Islanders took three of the four matchups a season ago...Pominville is averaging a point per game in 22 career matchups with the Islanders.
- NEW YORK: 2
Nov 29 9:29 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Brian Rolston, from David Ullstrom and Josh Bailey at 9:23.
Islanders 2, Sabres 1 3rd - 10:37Nov 29 9:06 PM
- Thomas Vanek shot blocked by Mike Mottau.
Islanders 1, Sabres 1 3rd - 17:57Nov 29 8:53 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 29 8:32 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Nov 29 7:45 PM
- David Ullstrom shot blocked by Jordan Leopold.
Islanders 1, Sabres 0 1st - 12:38Nov 29 7:19 PM
- Brian Rolston slap shot on Jhonas Enroth.
Islanders 0, Sabres 0 1st - 13:25Nov 29 7:18 PM
- NY Islanders Power-Play Goal at 6:47.
Islanders 1, Sabres 0 1st - 13:13Nov 29 7:18 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 29 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7