New coach, same result as 'Canes fall to PanthersNov 30, 2011 - 3:28 AM
Tomas Fleischmann netted the other goal for Florida, which got 26 saves from Jose Theodore.
Muller, who had been serving as head coach for the Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League, took over for Paul Maurice after he was fired on Monday. Muller served as an assistant coach with Montreal for five seasons and was also head coach at the Canadian collegiate level.
A 19-year NHL veteran, Muller, recorded 357 goals and 959 points during his playing career, and won a Stanley Cup with Montreal in 1993.
"I thought they really did their part in what we asked from them, come and work hard, play for each other, we didn't get the bounce, but they played hard," Muller said.
Jeff Skinner had the lone tally for the Hurricanes, who have lost four straight games.
Cam Ward stopped 18-of-20 shots in defeat.
Fleischmann put the Panthers on the board first with a laser from the left point on the power-play midway through the second period.
Skinner netted the tying goal just over a minute later.
From behind the net, Eric Staal slid a pass to Skinner, who positioned himself in the slot. Theodore stopped the initial try, but Skinner got his own rebound and deposited the puck into the back of the net.
Jack Skille was rewarded with a penalty shot near the midway point of the third period when Joni Pitkanen dragged him down from behind on a shot attempt from the slot. On the penalty try, Skille moved in and fired a wrister, but Ward stoned him with a glove save.
After Tomas Kaberle failed to clear the puck out of the Hurricanes' zone, Tomas Kopecky flicked a shot on net. Matthias, who positioned himself just right of the goal post, finished as he lifted the shot past Ward with just over three minutes remaining in regulation.
Matthias added an empty-netter with under a minute remaining to put the game away.
Maurice exited as the all-time winningest head coach in franchise history and had a record of 384-391-145 during his tenure. Maurice also led the team to the Eastern Conference title in 2002...Ward has stopped 8-of-12 penalty shots in his career.
- FLORIDA: 3
Nov 29 9:28 PM
- Florida Empty Net Goal - Shawn Matthias (5), at 19:11.
Panthers 3, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 0:49Nov 29 9:25 PM
- Florida Goal - Shawn Matthias (4), from Tomas Kopecky at 16:41.
Panthers 2, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 3:19Nov 29 9:22 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 29 8:34 PM
- Jeff Skinner wrist shot on Jose Theodore.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 8:12Nov 29 8:18 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner, at 11:49.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 8:11Nov 29 8:17 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Tomas Fleischmann (11), at 10:45.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 9:15Nov 29 8:14 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
End of 1st
Nov 29 7:40 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 29 7:09 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25