Thomas, Bruins stonewall PenguinsDec 6, 2011 - 5:05 AM
Since losing to Montreal on October 29, the Bruins have had an incredible run with just one loss, a 3-2 shootout loss to Detroit on November 25 that snapped a 10-game winning streak.
Boston has now won four straight and is just one point back of Pittsburgh for the top spot in the Eastern Conference.
Greg Campbell, Tyler Seguin and Benoit Pouliot all scored in the win for Boston.
"I think once we got ahead they got desperate and started throwing the puck more at the net," said Thomas. "They were going for anything instead of looking for the quality chances."
Matt Cooke had the lone goal while Marc-Andre Fleury gave up three goals on 27 shots for the Penguins, who had a two-game winning streak snapped.
"I thought they played very well tonight and dictated the pace of the game," said Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma. "We didn't capitalize on our special teams opportunities and that hurt us."
After a scoreless first period, the Bruins took a 1-0 lead at the 2:57 mark of the second when Daniel Paille sent a pass from the right corner boards to the right side of the net where Campbell whacked it in out of the air.
Boston took a 2-0 lead 7:18 into the second as Rich Peverley passed it from the right boards to the inside right circle where Pouliot snapped a shot over the glove of Fleury for his fourth goal of the season.
Skating on the power play early in the third, Boston made it a 3-0 game. Patrice Bergeron skated in from the right wing, shifted around a defender and passed it over to the left circle where Seguin one-timed it home.
Pittsburgh got on the board with just over nine minutes to play as Joe Vitale blocked a puck in the neutral zone, skated into the Boston end down the right wing and passed it over to the low left side for a redirect by Cooke.
However, all that did for the team was break the shutout as the Penguins were unable to get any closer.
These teams split the four-game series last season...Pittsburgh plays in Philly on Thursday...Boston plays in Winnipeg on Tuesday...Boston was 1-for-5 on the power play while Pittsburgh was 0-for-5.
- BOSTON: 3
Dec 5 9:42 PM
- Joe Vitale wrist shot on Tim Thomas.
Bruins 3, Penguins 1 3rd - 8:53Dec 5 9:21 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Tyler Seguin (13), at 1:07.
Bruins 3, Penguins 0 3rd - 18:53Dec 5 9:02 PM
- BOSTON: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 5 8:44 PM
- Boston Goal - Benoit Pouliot, at 7:18.
Bruins 2, Penguins 0 2nd - 12:42Dec 5 8:15 PM
- Boston Goal - Gregory Campbell (2), at 2:57.
Bruins 1, Penguins 0 2nd - 17:03Dec 5 8:07 PM
- BOSTON: 0
End of 1st
Dec 5 7:44 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 5 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17