Foligno lifts Senators past LightningDec 6, 2011 - 5:08 AM
Zack Smith scored twice while Daniel Alfredsson added a goal and an assist for the Senators, who snapped a two-game losing streak. Craig Anderson stopped 31 shots in the win.
"We've been putting the work in at practice and it's starting to show," said Foligno. "We had the energy and desire out there in the third period and that was big tonight."
Martin St. Louis and Bruno Gervais each scored for the Lightning, who have dropped their past four games. Dwayne Roloson made 27 saves.
"We deserve better but we're in the business of winning games and we're not doing that right now," said St. Louis. "Does that mean we quit, no, it's adversity and little by little you climb yourself out of the hole."
With Tampa holding a 2-1 lead, Ottawa tied the game as Jason Spezza left a drop pass, and from the top of the right circle Alfredsson blasted it past Roloson at the 8:58 mark of the third.
Ottawa took its first lead of the game with 4:27 to play when Alfredsson snapped a shot that went wide with Foligno grabbing the puck behind the net and going with the backhand from the left side for a 3-2 advantage.
Smith sealed the win with his eighth goal of the season as he got the puck near the blueline, flew into the zone and cut to the front before lifting it past Roloson with 3:41 to play.
The first goal of the game went to Tampa when Gervais' shot from the left point went in through a screen with 6:08 to play in the second.
Ottawa, though, tied it three minutes later as Jared Cowen's shot from the left point was tipped in by Smith in front.
The Lightning again took the lead 3 1/2 minutes into the third. St. Louis caused a turnover that Steven Stamkos grabbed at the right point. He immediately fed it back to St. Louis, who went down low and roofed it over Anderson.
Ottawa hosts Washington on Wednesday...Tampa plays games in New York against the Islanders on Tuesday and Rangers on Thursday...Both teams went 0-for-3 on the power play...These clubs split the four-game series the past two seasons.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Dec 5 10:12 PM
- Ottawa Goal - Zack Smith (8), at 16:19.
Lightning 2, Senators 4 3rd - 3:41Dec 5 10:04 PM
- Ottawa Goal - Nick Foligno (8), at 15:33.
Lightning 2, Senators 3 3rd - 4:27Dec 5 10:00 PM
- Ottawa Goal - Daniel Alfredsson (6), at 8:58.
Lightning 2, Senators 2 3rd - 11:02Dec 5 9:49 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (8), at 3:34.
Lightning 2, Senators 1 3rd - 16:26Dec 5 9:39 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 5 9:16 PM
- Ottawa Goal - Zack Smith (7), from Jared Cowen and Kaspars Daugavins at 16:46.
Lightning 1, Senators 1 2nd - 3:14Dec 5 9:10 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Bruno Gervais (2), at 13:52.
Lightning 1, Senators 0 2nd - 6:08Dec 5 9:03 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Dec 5 8:18 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 5 7:40 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17