Columbus takes down Montreal in shootoutDec 7, 2011 - 3:55 AM
R.J. Umberger had a goal and an assist for the Blue Jackets, who went 2-2-0 on a four-game road trip. Vinny Prospal also lit the lamp.
Curtis Sanford made 18 saves for the victors.
Andrei Kostitsyn and Brian Gionta scored for the Canadiens, who have lost five of six. Carey Price turned aside 26-of-28 shots.
Down 2-1 late in regulation, Price started to make his way to the bench for an extra attacker. Tomas Plekanec carried the puck down the right wing before throwing it out front. The disc hit off the skate of Columbus defenseman James Wisniewski and went to Gionta, who jammed the puck past Sanford with 1:21 left.
"We had some chances but unfortunately a bounce off our guy went right to Gionta for the tying goal," Umberger said. "Some plays like that you can't help."
In the second round of the shootout, Nash made a nice move before putting the puck past Price. Sanford then stopped Gionta's backhander to seal the victory.
The Blue Jackets drew first blood just 2:03 into the game. Aaron Johnson carried the puck down the right wing before putting a backhander on goal. The rebound bounced in front to Prospal, who put the puck into the back of the net.
It seemed like Columbus was going to head into the first intermission with a 1-0 lead, but that changed with 1.5 seconds to go. Michael Cammalleri stole the puck at the blue line and passed to Kostitsyn, whose wrister from the high slot beat Sanford.
Umberger gave the Blue Jackets the lead again at the 11:14 mark of the middle stanza. Nikita Nikitin carried the puck down the left wing before beating Price with a shot from the bottom of the circle.
"Anytime the puck carrier got in [the zone] he was all by himself," Gionta said.
The Blue Jackets have won four of the past five meetings between the teams... The Canadiens went 0-for-3 on the power play, while Columbus went 0-for-4 on the man advantage...Habs forward Max Pacioretty returned from a three-game suspension.
- COLUMBUS: 3
Final - 2OT
Dec 6 10:15 PM
- COLUMBUS: 2
End of OT
Dec 6 10:10 PM
- COLUMBUS: 2
End of Regulation
Dec 6 10:00 PM
- Montreal Goal - Brian Gionta (8), at 18:39.
Blue Jackets 2, Canadiens 2 3rd - 1:21Dec 6 9:57 PM
- COLUMBUS: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 6 9:09 PM
- Columbus Goal - R.J. Umberger (4), at 11:14.
Blue Jackets 2, Canadiens 1 2nd - 8:46Dec 6 8:54 PM
- COLUMBUS: 1
End of 1st
Dec 6 8:15 PM
- Montreal Goal - Andrei Kostitsyn (8), at 19:58.
Blue Jackets 1, Canadiens 1 1st - 0:02Dec 6 8:14 PM
- Columbus Goal - Vinny Prospal (7), at 2:03.
Blue Jackets 1, Canadiens 0 1st - 17:57Dec 6 7:43 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 6 7:41 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Ducks, Preds hope to get rolling early in first-round series Apr 14
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Tortorella: Don't ask NHL coaches to fix stagnant scoring Apr 12