Devils rally for shootout win over PanthersDec 14, 2011 - 5:21 AM
Zach Parise and Patrik Elias each had a goal in regulation while Kovalchuk added two assists for the Devils, who have won four of five. Martin Brodeur stopped 24 shots and both shooters he faced in the shootout.
"It's a long season and any team you play is not going to be easy," said Elias. "We just have to stay true to the system we play and hopefully things will work out."
Kris Versteeg scored both goals for the Panthers, who have lost three straight. Jose Theodore made 32 saves in the loss.
"We've been throwing a bunch of points away lately," said Versteeg. "We have to be better in a shootout, myself especially because you always want to help your team out."
In the first round of the shootout, Kovalchuk banged a wrister in off the right post.
Brodeur then made stops on Tomas Fleischmann and Versteeg before Elias sealed the win with a shot between the pads of Theodore.
A poor turnover from New Jersey in its own end led to the first Florida goal as Stephen Weiss picked off a weak pass from Adam Larsson at the low right circle, skated to the left and fed it back over to Versteeg, who flicked it past Brodeur 15:10 into the first.
Skating shorthanded, Versteeg picked the pocket of Henrik Tallinder and skated down the other end where he buried a wrister over the glove of Brodeur at the 7:29 mark.
Less than a minute later, New Jersey got one back when Elias swept home the puck from the low right circle off a broken pass.
The Devils then tied the game at the 7:40 mark of the third period when Tallinder's blast from the high slot bounced off the backboards to the left of the net and came back out to Parise, who slipped it past Theodore.
Florida hosts Calgary on Friday...New Jersey hosts Dallas on Friday...The Panthers had taken a 4-3 win from New Jersey in Florida on November 21...New Jersey went 0-for-4 on the power play while Florida was 0-for-1.
- NEW JERSEY: 3
Final - 2OT
Dec 13 10:19 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 2
End of OT
Dec 13 10:12 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 2
End of Regulation
Dec 13 10:05 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Zach Parise (10), from Henrik Tallinder and Ilya Kovalchuk at 7:40.
Devils 2, Panthers 2 3rd - 12:20Dec 13 9:42 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 13 9:16 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Patrik Elias, at 8:25.
Devils 1, Panthers 2 2nd - 11:35Dec 13 8:48 PM
- Florida Short-Handed Goal - Kris Versteeg (15), at 7:29.
Devils 0, Panthers 2 2nd - 12:31Dec 13 8:47 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Dec 13 8:18 PM
- Florida Goal - Kris Versteeg (14), at 15:08.
Devils 0, Panthers 1 1st - 4:52Dec 13 8:09 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 13 7:40 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30