Stamkos pushes Lightning past Flames in OTDec 16, 2011 - 5:12 AM
Tampa Bay wasted a two-goal lead in the third period, but tic-tac-toe passing between the trio of Steve Downie, Eric Brewer and Stamkos early in the extra session resulted in the latter re-directing Brewer's cross-ice feed into the back of the net.
"When you're struggling to get wins, you take them any way you can get them," said Stamkos, whose club had lost seven of eight coming in. "Hopefully this is the start of something good."
Tom Pyatt, Ryan Malone and Nate Thompson each scored in the second period to give the Lightning a 4-2 lead, only to have Rene Bourque and Olli Jokinen score in the third period to salvage a point for Calgary, which has dropped two straight.
Miikka Kiprusoff gave up all five goals on 34 shots, while Mathieu Garon earned the win with a 23-save effort.
Lightning forward Teddy Purcell scored a power-play goal from the left goal line by bouncing it off Flames' defenseman Chris Butler at the 5:11 mark of the opening period.
Matt Stajan scored his first goal of the season in the final minute of the first off a nice backhand feed from Tom Kostopoulos, and Jarome Iginla netted a one-timer just as a power play expired 1:57 into the second to give the Flames a lead they quickly relinquished.
Pyatt put in a rebound at the midway point of the second, Malone one-timed a Stamkos pass at the 12:05 mark and Thompson made it 4-2 by banking in another off Butler with 33.4 seconds left in the stanza.
"The second period is where we lost control of the game with some turnovers," Flames head coach Brent Sutter said.
Bourque pulled the Flames within one in the opening minute of the third when he came in alone on Garon and snuck one between his pads.
Jokinen's power-play tally, a re-redirect of Alex Tanguay's point shot, tied things with 3:12 remaining in regulation.
The Lightning had only one power-play chance...Calgary went 1-for-3 on the man advantage...Downie and Victor Hedman each had two assists for Tampa Bay...Derek Smith was credited with two assists for the Flames.
- CALGARY: 4
TAMPA BAY: 5
Final - OT
Dec 15 10:06 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steve Downie, at :30.
Flames 4, Lightning 5 OT - 4:30Dec 15 10:06 PM
- CALGARY: 4
TAMPA BAY: 4
End of Regulation
Dec 15 10:03 PM
- Calgary Power-Play Goal - Olli Jokinen (9), from Alex Tanguay and Derek Smith at 16:47.
Flames 4, Lightning 4 3rd - 3:13Dec 15 10:00 PM
- Calgary Goal - Rene Bourque (10), at :58.
Flames 3, Lightning 4 3rd - 19:02Dec 15 9:28 PM
- CALGARY: 2
TAMPA BAY: 4
End of 2nd
Dec 15 9:09 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Adam Hall (2), from Nate Thompson at 19:26.
Flames 2, Lightning 4 2nd - 0:34Dec 15 9:08 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ryan Malone, from Steven Stamkos at 12:05.
Flames 2, Lightning 3 2nd - 7:55Dec 15 8:50 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tom Pyatt (3), from Ryan Shannon at 10:10.
Flames 2, Lightning 2 2nd - 9:50Dec 15 8:48 PM
- Calgary Goal - Jarome Iginla (12), at 1:57.
Flames 2, Lightning 1 2nd - 18:03Dec 15 8:35 PM
- CALGARY: 1
TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Dec 15 8:15 PM
- Calgary Goal - Matt Stajan, at 19:27.
Flames 1, Lightning 1 1st - 0:33Dec 15 8:13 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Teddy Purcell (6), at 5:11.
Flames 0, Lightning 1 1st - 14:49Dec 15 7:47 PM
- CALGARY: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 15 7:38 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17