Bruins get revenge, blank FlyersDec 17, 2011 - 10:06 PM
It was the Flyers that spoiled the Bruins' opening-night raising of their Stanley Cup banner. Boston returned the favor by snapping Philadelphia's winning streak at seven games behind a four-goal first period and Tim Thomas' fourth shutout of the season.
"We had a well rounded game today," said Thomas, who made 31 saves. "We had all types of situations, power plays, penalty kills and even strength. We scored on the power play and we started out the game with a big goal, which helped put the momentum in our favor. Then, every time there was an opportunity for them to get back in the game, with a penalty or something, we came up big on the penalty kill."
Boston notched its fourth straight win and improved to 18-2-1 since November 1. The defending champs joined Philadelphia atop the Eastern Conference with 43 points.
The Bruins wasted little time, beating Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov twice in the first 2:50 of the contest.
A driving Benoit Pouliot redirected a pass from Rich Peverley 27 seconds after the game's opening faceoff. Daniel Paille then fired home the rebound of a Dennis Seidenberg point shot.
Boston went up 3-0 on a power-play goal by the returning Zdeno Chara. Nine seconds into the man-advantage, Chara, who missed the previous two games with a lower-body injury and earlier in the frame squared off with Philadelphia pugilist Jody Shelley, lit the lamp on a slap shot through traffic from the left point at 8:08.
The Bruins struck again on a power play, this time with the Flyers down two men, as Milan Lucic staked a claim in front of Bryzgalov and tipped in a Joe Corvo shot at 17:10.
Bryzgalov was pulled after Nathan Horton registered Boston's third consecutive power-play tally at the 7:06 mark of the second period.
Later in the middle stanza, Lucic received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for a hit from behind on Zac Rinaldo. Philadelphia generated a couple chances during the extended power play that bled into the third period.
Tyler Seguin capped the scoring with 7:48 to play.
"It was a tough day for us, and it was not typical of the way we have been playing or executing," said Philadelphia head coach Peter Laviolette.
Claude Julien recorded his 200th win as Boston's head coach...Thomas posted his 30th career shutout...Peverley had three assists and Corvo collected two helpers...Bryzgalov stopped 15 shots, while Sergei Bobrovsky finished with 16 saves in relief...Philadelphia's Jaromir Jagr played in his 1,300th NHL game...Flyers rookie forward Sean Couturier sustained a head injury late in the first period when he was struck by a shot off the stick of teammate Kimmo Timonen...Philadelphia was 0-for-6 on the power play.
- BOSTON: 6
Dec 17 3:44 PM
- Boston Goal - Tyler Seguin (14), at 12:12.
Bruins 6, Flyers 0 3rd - 7:48Dec 17 3:30 PM
- BOSTON: 5
End of 2nd
Dec 17 2:53 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Nathan Horton (9), at 7:06.
Bruins 5, Flyers 0 2nd - 12:54Dec 17 2:29 PM
- BOSTON: 4
End of 1st
Dec 17 1:58 PM
- Zdeno Chara shot blocked by Matt Read.
Bruins 4, Flyers 0 1st - 2:33Dec 17 1:49 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Zdeno Chara (7), at 8:08.
Bruins 3, Flyers 0 1st - 11:52Dec 17 1:27 PM
- Boston Goal - Daniel Paille (6), at 2:50.
Bruins 2, Flyers 0 1st - 17:10Dec 17 1:16 PM
- Boston Goal - Benoit Pouliot (5), at :27.
Bruins 1, Flyers 0 1st - 19:33Dec 17 1:10 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 17 1:08 PM
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23