Richards beats buzzer, lifts Rangers over CoyotesDec 18, 2011 - 5:20 AM
With the puck along the deep boards to the left of the net, Ryan Callahan sent a pass out to the left circle where Richards fired a backhand turnaround shot that banged in off the right post and went in as the buzzer sounded.
The official near the net waived the goal off, but the replay showed it crossed the line just before time expired to give the Rangers the win.
"I came on the ice with 20 seconds so I know we didn't have much time," said Richards. "Ryan (Callahan) made a good play there to get it to me and I just wanted to throw it on net somewhere. I had no idea that was going to happen."
Marian Gaborik scored twice and Martin Biron turned aside 21 shots for the Rangers, who snapped a two-game slide.
Cal O'Reilly and Lauri Korpikoski each had a goal for the Coyotes, who have dropped four of five. Mike Smith allowed three goals on 30 shots.
"That was a frustrating one to lose," said Phoenix head coach Dave Tippett. "It was so close, but it never should have happened."
The first goal of the game went to New York on the power play when Michael Del Zotto sprung Gaborik on a breakaway and he buried a wrister at the 8:34 mark.
The Coyotes tied the game while shorthanded as Boyd Gordon won a left circle faceoff back to Korpikoski, who quickly fired it into the net with nine seconds left in the first.
The second period nearly went scoreless, but Phoenix scored with 51.2 seconds left in the frame on the power play as O'Reilly banged it in with traffic in front.
Gaborik, though, tied the game 1:09 into the third as he found himself all alone with the disc as Keith Yandle lost the puck and it went to the front where Gaborik put in his second attempt.
The Rangers wrap up their three-game road trip in New Jersey on Tuesday...The Coyotes hit the road for games in Florida and Carolina on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively...The Rangers have won seven of the last nine against the Coyotes.
- NEW YORK: 3
Dec 17 10:35 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brad Richards (12), from Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky at 19:59.
Rangers 3, Coyotes 2 3rd - 0:01Dec 17 10:34 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of Regulation
Dec 17 10:31 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Marian Gaborik (17), at 1:09.
Rangers 2, Coyotes 2 3rd - 18:51Dec 17 9:59 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 17 9:40 PM
- Taylor Pyatt wrist shot on Martin Biron.
Rangers 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 0:20Dec 17 9:40 PM
- Cal O'Reilly shot on Martin Biron.
Rangers 1, Coyotes 1 2nd - 0:52Dec 17 9:39 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Cal O'Reilly, at 19:08.
Rangers 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 0:52Dec 17 9:39 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Dec 17 8:47 PM
- Phoenix Short-Handed Goal - Lauri Korpikoski (8), at 19:51.
Rangers 1, Coyotes 1 1st - 0:09Dec 17 8:46 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Marian Gaborik, at 8:34.
Rangers 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 11:26Dec 17 8:24 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 17 8:08 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26