Parenteau, Islanders slip past Jets in shootoutDec 21, 2011 - 5:45 AM
Parenteau and Michael Grabner scored in regulation for the Islanders, who have won the first two tilts of a three-game road trip in the shootout.
Evgeni Nabokov picked up the win with 19 saves over the final 26-plus minutes in relief of starter Al Montoya, who left late in the second period after Jets forward Evander Kane knocked him over.
Nik Antropov and Andrew Ladd tallied for the Jets, who have dropped three of five. Ondrej Pavelec was the hard-luck loser, stopping 31-of-33 shots.
"Pavelec was real good. He played strong. He helped us to at least get to a shootout," Jets head coach Claude Noel said. "Thank him for the point."
After Blake Wheeler was denied by Nabokov to begin the game's final segment, Parenteau broke in and snapped a forehander by Pavelec.
Kyle Wellwood was turned away by the right pad of Nabokov, before Frans Nielsen ended the contest by lifting a high backhander over a fallen Pavelec.
Parenteau tipped in a deflected Matt Moulson feed from the right side for a 1-0 Islanders lead 8:17 in.
Antropov countered for the Jets with two minutes left in the opening period, when he won a left-circle draw back to Johnny Oduya and then tipped in the point shot through Montoya's pads.
Grabner connected less than four minutes into the second when he shoveled in a Travis Hamonic rebound at the left post. Ladd knotted the game prior to the halfway mark on a wrister from the left wing.
After Montoya's exit, Nabokov's warmup consisted of a quick save against the right post of a Ladd shot that came off a 3-on-1 short-handed break.
"It was a good hockey game. I thought both goaltenders played well, unfortunately Al Montoya got hurt but [Nabokov] came in in the third and did a great job," said Islanders head coach Jack Capuano.
The Islanders improved to 2-2 in shootouts this season, while the Jets fell to 1-2...New York won its previous game in Winnipeg, a 4-2 decision on March 9, 1996 over the original Jets...Antropov snapped a six-game goal drought.
- NEW YORK: 3
Final - 2OT
Dec 20 11:18 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of OT
Dec 20 11:11 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of Regulation
Dec 20 10:58 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 20 10:07 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Andrew Ladd (11), at 9:46.
Islanders 2, Jets 2 2nd - 10:14Dec 20 9:48 PM
- Evander Kane shot blocked by Travis Hamonic.
Islanders 2, Jets 1 2nd - 15:54Dec 20 9:37 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Dec 20 9:12 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Andrew Ladd (11), from David Johnny Oduya and Nik Antropov at 18:00.
Islanders 1, Jets 1 1st - 2:00Dec 20 9:10 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - P.A. Parenteau (5), from Matt Moulson and John Tavares at 8:17.
Islanders 1, Jets 0 1st - 11:43Dec 20 8:50 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 20 8:38 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7
- Islanders look for win amid improved play against Lightning May 6