Sharks thump LightningDec 22, 2011 - 8:25 AM
Brent Burns and Patrick Marleau each had a goal and an assists while Ryane Clowe added three assists for the Sharks, who have won three straight. Antti Niemi stopped 22 shots in the win.
"It was just one of those nights where the puck was following me around," said Couture. "It felt really good out there and we were able to jump on them quick."
Dominic Moore and Martin St. Louis each had a goal for the Lightning, who had won their previous two coming into the game.
Mathieu Garon started the game in net, but was yanked just 6:21 in after allowing three goals on eight shots. Dwayne Roloson was touched for four goals on 35 shots.
"We didn't come out ready to battle," said St. Louis. "Against that team, you have to be willing to battle in your own end."
The first goal of the game came 3:26 in when Joe Thornton sent a pass from behind the net to the front and Benn Ferriero got it in on his second attempt.
Just 1:25 later, the Sharks took a 2-0 lead with a power-play goal as Burns' shot from the left circle was stopped, but Joe Pavelski was there to tap home the rebound.
Exactly 90 seconds later, the Sharks made it a 3-0 game on Andrew Desjardins' wraparound from the right side, prompting the goaltending change.
Couture's first goal of the period came at the 13:13 mark of the frame when Marleau made a perfect pass from the right point to the left wing and Couture put the puck in.
Just 1:34 later, Couture scored his 14th goal of the season on the power play for a 5-0 lead.
Moore's goal less than a minute later stopped the bleeding for Tampa Bay.
After a scoreless second period, Burns scored 1:15 in and St. Louis netted his 10th of the year at the 7:45 mark.
Marleau was given credit for a goal that hit several bodies in front after a Couture shot with 7:19 to play to cap the scoring.
It was a season-high in goals for the Sharks...Tampa had given up seven goals in a game two previous times this season...It was the fastest five goals for the Sharks in their team history...San Jose has won six of the last seven against Tampa Bay...The Sharks were 2-for-4 on the power play while Tampa went 0-for-5...Before the game, San Jose announced that forward Marty Havlat will miss the next 6-to-8 weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a partially torn tendon in his left hamstring.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
SAN JOSE: 7
Dec 22 1:05 AM
- Logan Couture wrist shot on Dwayne Roloson.
Lightning 2, Sharks 7 3rd - 7:21Dec 22 12:53 AM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (10), at 7:45.
Lightning 2, Sharks 6 3rd - 12:15Dec 22 12:43 AM
- San Jose Goal - Brent Burns, at 1:15.
Lightning 1, Sharks 6 3rd - 18:45Dec 22 12:30 AM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
SAN JOSE: 5
End of 2nd
Dec 22 12:11 AM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
SAN JOSE: 5
End of 1st
Dec 21 11:19 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal at 15:38.
Lightning 1, Sharks 5 1st - 4:22Dec 21 11:13 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Logan Couture (14), at 14:47.
Lightning 0, Sharks 5 1st - 5:13Dec 21 11:09 PM
- San Jose Goal - Logan Couture (13), from Patrick Marleau and Ryane Clowe at 13:13.
Lightning 0, Sharks 4 1st - 6:47Dec 21 11:04 PM
- San Jose Goal - Andrew Desjardins (3), from Andrew Murray at 6:21.
Lightning 0, Sharks 3 1st - 13:39Dec 21 10:51 PM
- Patrick Marleau slap shot hit the goalpost.
Lightning 0, Sharks 2 1st - 14:41Dec 21 10:50 PM
- Patrick Marleau backhand shot on Mathieu Garon.
Lightning 0, Sharks 1 1st - 15:10Dec 21 10:48 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (14), at 4:51.
Lightning 0, Sharks 2 1st - 15:09Dec 21 10:48 PM
- Benn Ferriero shot on Mathieu Garon.
Lightning 0, Sharks 1 1st - 16:35Dec 21 10:44 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 21 10:38 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20