Ward gets credit for a goal, Hurricanes double up DevilsDec 27, 2011 - 5:00 AM
"It was just a fluke thing that happened," Ward sheepishly admitted after the game. "It would have been nicer if (Brandon) Sutter could have gotten credit because he works so hard. It is what it is."
Sutter -- who was robbed of the second multi-goal game of his career -- Tuomo Ruutu and Anthony Stewart also tallied for the Hurricanes, who have won two in a row and three of five.
Ward, who became the first goaltender in Whalers/Hurricanes history to have a goal to his credit, also stopped 23 shots to record his 12th win of the year.
David Clarkson and Adam Henrique provided late-game scores for the Devils, who have dropped two of three.
Johan Hedberg allowed three goals on 33 shots in defeat.
Hedberg was sent to the bench in the final minute, setting the stage for Hurricanes history.
Ilya Kovalchuk intended to pass from along the goal line back to Henrique near the left point, but the puck eluded a falling Henrique and slid all the way down into the visitors' net with 29.4 seconds left.
Initially, the goal was credited to Sutter, after video evidence appeared to show him tipping the Kovalchuk pass ever so slightly. But upon further review after the end of the game, Ward was given the goal since he was shown to be the last Carolina player to touch the puck.
"I don't know how to explain it. I should make better decisions than that, definitely," Kovalchuk said. "We find a way to make the game interesting and we were working hard, but a bad decision by me cost us the game."
The unlikely tally cancelled out a spirited comeback by the visitors.
Clarkson put the Devils on the board inside of eight minutes left with a blistering shot from the right wing. Henrique then pulled New Jersey within 3-2 when an errant shot from Clarkson hit a 'Canes defender and squirted to him for a tap-in with 2:20 remaining.
Sutter's seventh of the season, at 11:13 of the first period, was the lone score in the opening 20 minutes. It came during a 2-on-1 short-handed rush, when the young forward ripped a shot by Hedberg from the right circle.
Carolina boosted that edge to 3-0 by the end of the second on scores from Ruutu and Stewart just over 10 minutes apart.
Chris Mason of the Nashville Predators was the last netminder to be credited with a goal, in a 5-1 win over Phoenix on April 15, 2006...The last time the Hartford/Carolina franchise was involved in such a scenario came on March 6, 1996, when Detroit's Chris Osgood shot and scored an empty-netter in a 4-0 victory against the Whalers in Hartford...New Jersey had won five in a row over Carolina...The Devils had their road win streak halted at four games...The Hurricanes have won three of their last four on home ice...Tim Brent posted two assists for the victors...Anton Volchenkov recorded helpers on both New Jersey scores.
- NEW JERSEY: 2
Dec 26 9:30 PM
- Carolina Empty Net Goal - Brandon Sutter (8), at 19:30.
Devils 2, Hurricanes 4 3rd - 0:30Dec 26 9:29 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Adam Henrique (10), from David Clarkson and Anton Volchenkov at 17:40.
Devils 2, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 2:20Dec 26 9:23 PM
- New Jersey Goal - David Clarkson, at 12:38.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 7:22Dec 26 9:14 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 2nd
Dec 26 8:35 PM
- Carolina Goal - Anthony Stewart (5), at 17:13.
Devils 0, Hurricanes 3 2nd - 2:47Dec 26 8:29 PM
- Eric Staal shot blocked by Kurtis Foster.
Devils 0, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 12:20Dec 26 8:15 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Dec 26 7:47 PM
- Carolina Short-Handed Goal - Brandon Sutter (7), from Tim Gleason at 11:13.
Devils 0, Hurricanes 1 1st - 8:47Dec 26 7:28 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 26 7:09 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11
- Devils' Elias reconsidering future after good final week Apr 10
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9