Stamkos strikes twice in Lightning rout of FlyersDec 28, 2011 - 5:06 AM
Bruno Gervais, Steve Downie and Vincent Lecavalier also scored for the Lightning, who had dropped two in a row and four of six coming in but dented Philly netminder Ilya Bryzgalov for five goals on just 16 shots.
"It was huge. We talked about what kind of game it was going to be, how strong offensively they were and how we needed to take away their time and space," Stamkos said. "It wasn't pretty out there but we'll take the win and hopefully it will lead to something good from here."
Scott Hartnell's first-period goal was the lone offense for the Flyers, who have lost four of their last five.
The Bolts assumed the lead for good at 7:25 of the second, as Stamkos potted a Brett Clark rebound, then went up 3-1 on a power play with 8:19 on the clock as Downie was alone at the left side to corral an errant Pavel Kubina shot and slide it into an open net.
Stamkos added another tally from the left side with 1:15 remaining, a man- advantage score at the left side of the crease off a Downie pass.
Martin St. Louis hit Lecavalier with a perfect pass and the veteran flipped his shot just under the crossbar in the final minute of regulation to cap the scoring.
"What's frustrating is we didn't score any goals on all those chances," Flyers forward Jaromir Jagr said. "It pretty much looked like nothing went our way. Two weeks ago, everything went our way. But that's the nature of the business."
Garon kept the game scoreless at the 6 1/2-minute mark of the opening period when he dove head-first and closed off the right post to muffle Hartnell's backhanded breakaway chance.
Tampa got the jump just prior to the midway point when Adam Hall won a right- circle faceoff and Gervais floated a shot from the boards that eluded Bryzgalov to the near post.
Philly tied the game with 1:46 remaining. Claude Giroux intentionally shot the puck wide to Garon's left, then found the rebound back in front and fired on the net. The shot caromed right to Hartnell on the right side for the easy score.
Tampa Bay hadn't swept Philadelphia at home since the 2005-06 season...Stamkos notched his 27th career two-goal game and his first since Dec. 12 against the Devils...Lightning defenseman Viktor Hedman left the game after the first period with an upper-body injury and did not return...The Flyers welcomed back forwards Danny Briere and Brayden Schenn to the lineup...Briere missed one game with a hand injury and Schenn had been sidelined with a concussion since December 3...Hartnell has posted at least one point in 10 of the last 12 games.
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
TAMPA BAY: 5
Dec 27 10:05 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (12), from Martin St. Louis at 19:00.
Flyers 1, Lightning 5 3rd - 1:00Dec 27 10:03 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
TAMPA BAY: 4
End of 2nd
Dec 27 9:09 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Steven Stamkos (22), at 18:45.
Flyers 1, Lightning 4 2nd - 1:15Dec 27 9:06 PM
- Danny Briere shot blocked by Pavel Kubina.
Flyers 1, Lightning 3 2nd - 8:01Dec 27 8:50 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (21), from Brett Clark and Ryan Malone at 7:25.
Flyers 1, Lightning 2 2nd - 12:35Dec 27 8:42 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Dec 27 8:13 PM
- Jaromir Jagr wrist shot on Mathieu Garon.
Flyers 1, Lightning 1 1st - 1:49Dec 27 8:09 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Bruno Gervais (3), at 9:34.
Flyers 0, Lightning 1 1st - 10:26Dec 27 7:55 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 27 7:38 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17