Rangers rip PanthersDec 31, 2011 - 5:19 AM
Michael Del Zotto and Brandon Dubinsky also tallied for New York, the winner in six of its last seven. Henrik Lundqvist turned away 27 of the 28 shots he faced.
New York's next game will be on Monday as they face the Flyers in Philadelphia in the annual Winter Classic.
Matt Bradley scored the only goal for Florida, which has dropped four of five.
"That's a good team over there and we just weren't ready to play them tonight," said Bradley.
New York went ahead 2-0 in the first period after Hagelin and Richards found the back of the net. Hagelin scored just 35 seconds into the game after redirecting a Ryan Callahan shot from the slot.
Richards scored almost five minutes later on a breakaway goal. He took the puck down the right side and sent a wrister over Scott Clemmensen's right shoulder for his 13th goal of the season.
The Rangers stretched it to 3-0 after Del Zotto snuck one by Clemmensen. That would spell the end of the night for the netminder, who was pulled after allowing the first three goals on just 14 shots.
"Tonight we had a great start and scored on pretty much every shot we took," Lundqvist said. "After that it's about playing smart and taking care of pucks. and not trying to much because we don't have to."
In the second period New York added another goal to go ahead 4-0 after Dubinsky used a slick move to cut across the front of the goal. As he was falling to the ice, Dubinsky netted his fourth goal of the season, sending a backhander past Jose Theodore
Florida added a goal with 11:32 left in the second when Bradley backhanded a loose puck past Lundqvist.
"I trust the team, I think the team is a group of guys that know their identity," Rangers head coach John Tortorella said. "They know how to play to be successful. For a good portion of the game, not all of it, they did that."
Theodore stopped 10 of the 11 shots he faced.
Lundqvist is 7-2-0 in nine starts against Florida...The Panthers will be in action again Saturday night at home against the Canadiens.
- NEW YORK: 4
Dec 30 10:00 PM
- NEW YORK: 4
End of 2nd
Dec 30 9:06 PM
- Florida Goal - Matt Bradley (2), at 9:28.
Rangers 4, Panthers 1 2nd - 10:32Dec 30 8:48 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brandon Dubinsky (4), at 7:41.
Rangers 4, Panthers 0 2nd - 12:19Dec 30 8:41 PM
- NEW YORK: 3
End of 1st
Dec 30 8:14 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Michael Del Zotto (5), at 15:37.
Rangers 3, Panthers 0 1st - 4:23Dec 30 8:04 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brad Richards (13), at 5:10.
Rangers 2, Panthers 0 1st - 14:50Dec 30 7:45 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Carl Hagelin (7), from Ryan Callahan at :35.
Rangers 1, Panthers 0 1st - 19:25Dec 30 7:40 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 30 7:39 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30