Wheeler nets winner as Jets edge LeafsJan 1, 2012 - 6:26 AM
Zach Bogosian and Andrew Ladd also scored in the second period for the Jets, who have won three in a row. Ondrej Pavelec made 21 saves.
"It was a great atmosphere tonight," said Bogosian. "It was kind of tough to get into a routine because we took a bunch of penalties, but we were able to work our way through it."
Clarke MacArthur and Phil Kessel lit the lamp for the Maple Leafs, who went 1-2-1 on a four-game road trip. James Reimer turned aside 32-of-35 shots.
"We've dug ourselves a hole that we have to get out of," said Kessel. "We have the tools on this team to do it, we just have to find our game again."
MacArthur's power-play goal gave Toronto a 1-0 lead at the 13:59 mark of the first period. Carl Gunnarsson carried the puck to the bottom of the left circle before passing in front to MacArthur, who chipped the disc into the back of the net.
Bogosian scored on the power play to make it a 1-1 game at the 2:51 mark of the middle stanza. Bogosian's one-timer from the point got past Reimer.
Ladd gave Winnipeg a 2-1 lead at the 5:26 mark. Kyle Wellwood gathered the puck just below the goal line before sliding a pass in front to Ladd, who tipped the disc past Reimer.
Toronto tied the game again on Kessel's goal at the 7:07 mark.
The Jets took the lead back for good with 9:10 left in the second. Ron Hainsey's blast from the left point was deflected in by Wheeler for a 3-2 edge.
Pavelec made 11 saves in the third period to secure the victory.
Toronto recorded a 4-3 shootout win at home on October 19 in the first of four meetings between these two teams this year...Toronto has lost eight of 11... Winnipeg played without defenseman Dustin Byfuglien (knee) and center Jim Slater (rib)...Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom had an assist, moving him into a tie for fifth place in Jets all-time points scored with Dany Heatley. Enstrom now has 181 points in 336 games played with the Jets franchise...Winnipeg forward Antti Miettinen had two assists.
- TORONTO: 2
Dec 31 9:43 PM
- TORONTO: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 31 8:48 PM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal - Blake Wheeler (19), at 10:50.
Maple Leafs 2, Jets 3 2nd - 9:10Dec 31 8:31 PM
- Toronto Goal - Phil Kessel (21), at 7:07.
Maple Leafs 2, Jets 2 2nd - 12:53Dec 31 8:24 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Andrew Ladd (12), at 5:26.
Maple Leafs 1, Jets 2 2nd - 14:34Dec 31 8:19 PM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal - Zach Bogosian (3), at 2:51.
Maple Leafs 1, Jets 1 2nd - 17:09Dec 31 8:13 PM
- TORONTO: 1
End of 1st
Dec 31 7:50 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Clarke MacArthur (11), at 13:59.
Maple Leafs 1, Jets 0 1st - 6:01Dec 31 7:40 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 31 7:15 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Capitals finally able to turn attention to playoffs Apr 11
- Winnipeg Jets rally from 3 goals down to stun LA Kings 4-3 Apr 10
- Henrique scores 2, Devils beat Leafs in season finale Apr 9
- Jets-Kings Preview Apr 8
- Maple Leafs-Devils Preview Apr 8