Ryan, Ducks down IslandersJan 7, 2012 - 7:23 AM
Teemu Selanne scored the 649th goal of his career while Ryan Getzlaf also lit the lamp for the Ducks, who snapped a three-game slide. Jonas Hiller gave up two goals on 21 shots in the win.
Matt Martin and Kyle Okposo both had goals for the Islanders, who had a three- game winning streak stopped. Evgeni Nabokov was tagged for all four goals on 20 shots.
"We have to bounce back and forget about this," said New York head coach Jack Capuano. "We let one slip away here tonight and that's not acceptable."
The Islanders had taken a 2-1 lead 6:20 into the third as Okposo shot in a feed from Jonathan Tavares in front, but Anaheim scored the next three goals.
The tying goal came from Ryan, who got the puck in the slot, made the backhand move to get around the defender then slid to the front before putting in a forehand at the 9:22 mark.
Just over three minutes later, the Ducks took the lead as Getzlaf skated from the right boards to the slot and lifted a backhander into the net.
Selanne sealed the win with his 12th of the season on a wrister from the slot with 2:54 to play.
"We got mad instead of hanging our heads when we got behind," said Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau. "The big guys got mad and it showed."
The first goal of the game came in the second period on Ryan's 14th of the season with 5:42 left in the second, but the Islanders tied the game two minutes later when a shot from Martin sat on the goal line and Hiller knocked the puck in as he tried to put his glove on it.
Anaheim hosts Columbus on Sunday...The Islanders play in Phoenix on Saturday...These teams split two games last season with each team winning at home...Anaheim went 0-for-2 on the power play while New York was 0-for-3.
- NEW YORK: 2
Jan 7 12:27 AM
- Kyle Okposo wrist shot on Jonas Hiller.
Islanders 2, Ducks 4 3rd - 1:58Jan 7 12:25 AM
- Anaheim Goal - Ryan Getzlaf (7), from Corey Perry at 12:25.
Islanders 2, Ducks 3 3rd - 7:35Jan 7 12:15 AM
- Anaheim Short-Handed Goal - Bobby Ryan (15), at 9:22.
Islanders 2, Ducks 2 3rd - 10:38Jan 7 12:06 AM
- Corey Perry wrist shot on Evgeni Nabokov.
Islanders 2, Ducks 1 3rd - 13:33Jan 7 12:00 AM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Moulson (19), at 6:16.
Islanders 3, Ducks 1 3rd - 13:44Jan 7 12:00 AM
- NY Islanders Goal - Kyle Okposo, from John Tavares at 6:20.
Islanders 2, Ducks 1 3rd - 13:40Jan 6 11:59 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 6 11:33 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Martin (5), from Mark Eaton at 16:04.
Islanders 1, Ducks 1 2nd - 3:56Jan 6 11:27 PM
- Anaheim Goal - Bobby Ryan (14), from Jason Blake and Saku Koivu at 14:18.
Islanders 0, Ducks 1 2nd - 5:42Jan 6 11:22 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Jan 6 10:41 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 6 10:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Bruce Boudreau agrees to terms to coach Minnesota Wild May 7
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7