Brodeur lifts Devils over PenguinsJan 8, 2012 - 5:33 AM
Ilya Kovalchuk and Adam Henrique each had a goal and an assist while Dainius Zubrus also scored for the Devils, who have won their past two.
"When you play in a building like this you need everything to go right," said New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer. "Marty came up with the stops and our special teams were huge tonight."
Evgeni Malkin scored the lone goal for the Penguins, who have dropped a season-high four straight. Marc-Andre Fleury gave up all three goals on 27 shots.
"Unfortunately, we're fighting to score goals," said Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma. "We just can't get that two-goal lead or doing the right things that will help us find that goal."
The Penguins took a 1-0 lead 4:48 into the game as Malkin's one-timer from the high slot with a knee on the ice got past several Devils and Brodeur.
The Devils scored shorthanded 8:39 into the second as Zach Parise sprung Henrique off a blueline turnover and Henrique got his second shot into the net.
New Jersey made it a 2-1 game 11:23 into the second as Parise sent a pass from the right boards to the high slot where Kovalchuk's blistering one-timer flew past Fleury.
The Devils got an insurance goal 1:28 into the third on a power play as Zubrus finished off a crisp passing play with a redirect of a Patrik Elias pass.
Brodeur turned aside 13 shots in the third to help the Devils hold on for the win.
New Jersey plays in Calgary on Tuesday...The Penguins host the Senators on Tuesday...New Jersey has taken two of three from the Penguins this season...New Jersey was 1-for-1 on the power play while Pittsburgh was 0- for-2.
- NEW JERSEY: 3
Jan 7 9:31 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Dainius Zubrus (12), at 1:28.
Devils 3, Penguins 1 3rd - 18:32Jan 7 8:59 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 7 8:39 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (15), at 11:23.
Devils 2, Penguins 1 2nd - 8:37Jan 7 8:25 PM
- New Jersey Short-Handed Goal - Adam Henrique (12), at 8:39.
Devils 1, Penguins 1 2nd - 11:21Jan 7 8:16 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Jan 7 7:43 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Evgeni Malkin (16), at 4:48.
Devils 0, Penguins 1 1st - 15:12Jan 7 7:15 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 7 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19